mtbr member
    Feb 2008

multi purpose frame??

ok so I am 6'4" and 250. I am looking into building up a bike to use as a hybrid. when I say that what is mean is a don't want a suspension and I would like to have the ability to ride it on the road for 30 miles or swap out the tires and do some basic trail riding. I want to ride on the road but I want a mountain bike that can go on th road.. not a road bike... I am not very concerned with bike weight as my weight can change by 5lbs depending on what I had for dinner or how many beers I have had the night before... I don't see the point in being overly concerned with how much my seat post weighs! thoughts?

mtbr member
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    you don't mention a price point... but a 29er sounds like just the ticket...

karate monkey is great if you want to build your own bike (i've got one for my primary MTB)...

anyway i've got just the bike you mention... it's a redline d440...

mine was $580 out the door... but i think the price has bumped up $100 for this year... I added a high sweep bar (playing with the titec H bar at the moment)... and am in the process of installing front shifty bits... i roll with 700x40 kenda kross tires for the street (gives enough cush and can roll off road no prob but smooth center is great on the street)... just last week i tossed the MTB tire up front and rolled it with the CX tire out back... the parts on there aren't high end but strong and work well... if you need a little more gearing it's easy to add gears up front...

good bike
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks... I had heard the KM would be a good option but a LBS was talking me int a cycle cross bike. I am not sure which way to go. In terms of price I am looking to get out of this for under 1500.