Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mtb jerseys/shirts for the larger folks

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Aaen 
#1 ·
Looking for jersey options that come in Clyde sizes. I have a 52" chest and 38" waist, weigh approximately 240-250 and have more of a muscular build from my years of rugby/powerlifting.

Anyways I'm having huge troubles finding a decent jersey that breaths. Most of the options I have found are very similar to UA shirts which are comfy but do not breath worth a dam. Or I find one and I might as well be wearing Lycra/spandex which I dislike.

Any options out there you fellow Clydesdales can recommend that come in FH (f'ing huge) size and breath well? Or perhaps a t-shirt that actually has an open weave that allows air to pass through. I've debated wearing football jerseys as they have an open weave to the material.

Perhaps a running shirt? They seem to be very open weave although I question the durability as I'm not sure how often a runner will be bouncing/sliding off trees and rocks. And throw in the occasional wipe out.

On a side note wtf is with all the black this year in the jerseys available? I already sweat enough I need lighter/bright colors to aid in cooling me off.

Greatly appreciate any help with this or pointing me to another thread as my search abilities seem to be brining up nothing lately.

Thanks

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

See less See more
#4 ·
I generally just wear the wicking stuff from Walmart. It comes in 3xl and works well enough. I have a couple jerseys from the above that I wear on the road. I also have some Adidas shirts I got from Costco that are nice. They are wicking but not that slick shiny kind of stuff that most are made from. These look more like a cotton shirt but they are not at all cotton.

#7 ·
Adidas Ultimate Tee I think is what they are. Costco has them fairly often for around $15. They fit me well (2xl) and I'm about the same dimensions as you. 52" chest, powerlifter build. You can also order them in 3xl and 4xl if you want more room. The 2xl is tightish but not so tight that I mind wearing them.

#11 ·
My measurements are pretty similar to yours; I'm 6'. I mostly wear the Champion C9 running/workout shirts from Target. 2xl fits fine; xl is a little snug. Usually about $12/each, so not too expensive. I can also wear them to the gym, so they pull double duty.

Really, the big difference b/t running shirts and 'jerseys' will be zippers and pockets. The material is probably the same. Since I always ride trails w/ a pack, I don't need the pockets.

#12 ·
An actual jersey is awesome on a road bike. Not so much on a mountain bike unless racing and you don't have time to pull over and get into a pack. I rarely ride on my mountain bike wearing a jersey but I do like the zipper when I do, being able to unzip when things get really hot. A loose fitting t-shirt with a zipper about halfway down the front would be perfect.

#13 ·
Found an excellent shirt at Cabellas, breathed very well and you can feel the air movement on you when riding unlike a lot of the other shirts. Think it is their guide wear tshirts, xpg or something like that.

They are working wonders and have survived a few bounce of tree's here in the PNW. And with our recent heatwave they are keeping me cool and not so sweaty.

Oddly I'm hoping we get rain soon as we are well over a month without rain here on Vancouver Island well in Nanaimo, the occasional sprinkle has happened but that does nothing. We desperately need it

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.