Thread: Motobecane?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Motobecane?

So I see a lot of these frames on ebay but don't know anything about them. They seem to be decent quality and fairly cheap but I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them and if they think they are worth it.

mtbr member
    Bump.
    I have the same question, hopefully someone has some experience with em.

You know, for kids
    I would spend an extra $100-150 on a new MonoCog

slightly better components and it's cromo steel. I steer away from aluminum frames for my clyde ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    I would spend an extra $100-150 on a new MonoCog

slightly better components and it's cromo steel. I steer away from aluminum frames for my clyde ass.
    Well I would be buying the frame and building it up with XTR for the most part so the components aren't in question, the frame is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClyde
    So I see a lot of these frames on ebay but don't know anything about them. They seem to be decent quality and fairly cheap but I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them and if they think they are worth it.
    You might want to poke around the Road Bike Review forum for more information, but, essentially, Motobecane, the one time well respected French manufacturer, isn't Motobecane anymore. The Motobecane factory closed and the name was sold to an importer who doesn't design, doesn't build, doesn't do anything but buy bikes and components from Asian manufacturers. (And Schwinn isn't Schwinn anymore, either, but the Schwinn name was taken over by a major bike conglomerate. As I understand it Motobecane is run out of someone's garage. They sell exclusively through eBay and mail order- at least they seem to. The owner got quite defensive over on RBR saying he had 'lots' of brick and mortar dealers, but he wouldn't provide a list.) That doesn't mean Motobecane is bad, but it's likely that there are several 'brands' selling the exact same thing- these are bikes and frames designed to be re-branded and are sold in bulk to anyone who can meet the minimum order. Asian factories now build even a lot of high end bikes for name brands who still design their own stuff. They could be building Bianchi and Specialized in one side of the factory, and Motobecane in another. I guess what I'm saying is it might be a great frame. It's probably built in bulk by an experienced maker, but bike snobs will look down their noses at it. You also won't get the kind of warranty support you'll get from a manufacturer with a dealer network. Ideally you won't need it.
    To the troll mobile, away...

You know, for kids
    something about an aluminum frame that cheap just strikes me as wrong

go for steel

$190 for MonoCog frame & fork
    $250 for a Zion 737 frame & fork
    $300 for Surly Karate Monkey frame & fork

Making fat cool since '71

At that pricepoint...

Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    something about an aluminum frame that cheap just strikes me as wrong

go for steel

$190 for MonoCog frame & fork
    $250 for a Zion 737 frame & fork
    $300 for Surly Karate Monkey frame & fork
    They are all made in Taiwan in two factories. Pacific (owns Schwinn, Walgoose, GT, etc) pumps out frames at a frantic pace (and Pacific is owned by a Canadian company called Dorel; think baby strollers...). Al or steel. Metal is a personal preference all with their good points and annoyances, period.

Hell, I have an old-skool Raliegh (when they were made in Seattle) that has an al front and steel rear. Best of both worlds? Who cares if you like the bike?

Brock
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.