Thread: motivation

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

motivation

299, 285, 275, 265, 256, 275, 277...

I can't get any motivation. Where is my motivation? ...............

Excited about race season? Sure.

Find motivation to train for race season? Not really.

Motivation to eat right? Will you pass the gumbo, extra rice, and then some ice cream.

Motivation to find a girlfriend? Oh hell no. I don't want the girls that accept me looking like this.

Sick of seeing everyone else get faster? Yeah some what but I guess not enough to do anything about it.

Help, advise, suggestions, comments, questions, any completely off subject matter to add?

To add to it. I accidentally posted this the first time in the Commuting section...

Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I feel you brother. I am training pretty hard, but just won't eat right. I'd weigh less than 200 easy if I didn't replace all the calories I've burned in the last 3 months.

mtbr member
    Bro, that's tough but look at it this way. You know you can lose the weight if you put your mind to it. You've done it before. Diet is most of it and I'd also recommend accountability with a buddy.
    Pic up a calory counter if you have a smart phone and enter in everything you eat. Try it for a week and you'll start to notice that you're starting to watch what you're eating.
    Good luck with it dude!

mtbr member
    Find a woman who will be supportive of your weight loss/training goals! They're more important than you think! But in the meantime, just get out of the house and to the trail, and you'll be riding and having fun before you know it. That works for me!

bust a move
    I do the same thing...it is sabotage. Deep down I think we are concerned with the effect we would have on hot women if we were thin

Right now, I am plateaued at about 60% of my goal and I just keep going with what has worked so far but it is still a struggle every day. Good luck

MTB B'dos
    If being that size and wanting to be healthier is not motivation enough, then I don't think anyone on here can help you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If being that size and wanting to be healthier is not motivation enough, then I don't think anyone on here can help you.

That is total BS!!!

It helps a ton to know you aren't the only one in the boat. I know how the OP feels, I felt that way for years and still do sometimes. But it has helped me a lot knowing I'm not the only one struggling and that losing weight can be done. I know, I have lost 130 pounds in the last year. I couldn't tell you what exactly got my fat ass off the couch and doing something about my weight but it certainly wasn't someone saying dumb crap like above. I did it with the help of a medically supervised program, other people in the program, my wife, friends and yes even this forum. Tons of motivation when you look at the before and after thread. I'm not only riding again but riding better than I have in my life. Now I just do something 2 to 5 times a week bike, hike, gym, whatever. One thing that helped me is I never regret physical activity, I ALWAYS feel better after doing it.

OP don't give up hope, you can do it. People have given great advise, I have used them all, in this thread. It is a struggle but you can get there like a bunch of us have. Maybe the posting in the commuter section was your subconscious telling you something

Before, 350lbs

Now, 220lbs

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffed View Post
    Motivation to find a girlfriend? Oh hell no. I don't want the girls that accept me looking like this.
    Really? I think you've got it all backwards. If you find a girlfriend now, you're pretty sure she likes your for who you are, not how you look. If you wait until you have rock hard abs and look like a million bucks, you might just end up with some shallow ***** who will ditch you if you start getting a bit chubby again.

Find a girlfriend who likes you for your personality, if you later shed weight and become handsome I'm certain she will find it a perk, "wow, cool, kind guy and now with good looks on top of that!".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffed View Post
    299, 285, 275, 265, 256, 275, 277...

I can't get any motivation. Where is my motivation? ...............
    One thing that often helps me get going again is scheduling an event or a trip and wanting to be in better shape for it. If I don't have something on the calendar, then there is always tomorrow to work on it! I know if I don't wanna be left behind in Moab in a few months or don't want to look too bad on the beach on that trip, I have to get out and get on the bike. That usually helps me get out, and then I'm having a great time.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys. My 2012 calendar is pretty eventful. I've already done the Tour de Felasco 50 miler which was pretty flat and fast. The rest of the year isn't so flat and being 250lbs or less wouldn't make the rides any easier. It just wouldn't take as long to finish them.

Floride1, thats absolutely amazing to see the difference in those two pictures. Congratulations sir!

Now, talking about the women. I at least want to go poke fun with the shallow ******* before getting serious in life.

-Southern Cross Race(50 mile cyclocross in the mountains of N. Georgia 6,500ish ft elevation gain)
    -Cheaha Challenge Road Ride(100 miles of mountains of Northeast Alabama, 7,400ft elevation gain)
    -Skyway Epic Mtb Race (70ish miles 5,000+ft elevation gain)
    -5 Alabama Mountain Bike Series events, sport category (avg 20-25m per event/1st yr in sport)
    -Fools Gold 50 mile Mtb race (N. Georgia, Elevation Gain: unknown but A LOT!)
    -PORC Epic Ride (50 miles mtb in Pensacola, FL. should be simple after the other rides)
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post

That is total BS!!!

It helps a ton to know you aren't the only one in the boat. I know how the OP feels, I felt that way for years and still do sometimes. But it has helped me a lot knowing I'm not the only one struggling and that losing weight can be done. I know, I have lost 130 pounds in the last year. I couldn't tell you what exactly got my fat ass off the couch and doing something about my weight but it certainly wasn't someone saying dumb crap like above. I did it with the help of a medically supervised program, other people in the program, my wife, friends and yes even this forum. Tons of motivation when you look at the before and after thread. I'm not only riding again but riding better than I have in my life. Now I just do something 2 to 5 times a week bike, hike, gym, whatever. One thing that helped me is I never regret physical activity, I ALWAYS feel better after doing it.

OP don't give up hope, you can do it. People have given great advise, I have used them all, in this thread. It is a struggle but you can get there like a bunch of us have. Maybe the posting in the commuter section was your subconscious telling you something

Before, 350lbs

Now, 220lbs

nice work

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post

That is total BS!!!

Before, 350lbs

Now, 220lbs
    There is no way thats the same person.......nice job. I am hoping to get down to about 230 or so, I only have about 50 lbs so not to bad. Pregnant wife did me in a year and a half ago and I gained 30 lbs. Good luck to original poster. I think you need to look at yourself and what you want to accomplish and just make a list and hold yourself accountable. It is working for me, I wrote down work out at least 4 times per week and ride at least 20 miles per week. I am doing a pretty good job at holding to that even with bad weather and winter blues. The hardest part is changing your diet and thats when the pounds really fly off. I went vegeterian for a week to prove to my wife I could do it(I have ate vegetables maybe 10 times in 20 years) and I lost a ton of weight that week. So that just shows me that diet is key, but I am from the South and we like to eat good food, so its hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I hear ya with motivation, I have all the tools I need just lack that one bit. I am slowly working on it just seems like take one step forward and two steps back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've struggled with this, too. I've been so unhappy with a variety of things in my life. They all, however, have a root cause. I tend to be compulsive. And I really never sat down and defined the values I stood for. I kinda of always knew in the back of my head, but never really defined them. So, I always had gray area in my life. Hence, I would go a few days eating "healthy" only to be followed by a binge on food or alcohol. This cycle has largely repeated itself throughout my adult life.

It took a couple of months of counseling to finally see this pattern. I was always focusing on the details.......daily life was my focus. It was only when I started to view everything from the 10,000 foot point of view did it all make sense. Over the course of the last several months, I've made great efforts to define what really is important to me. And I've discovered that just "riding" and kinda of eating "healthy" arn't really me. In my heart I'm an athlete. I'm a racer. And I beleive I can have a positive effect on the world by doing what I know in my heart to be true. My focus is now on these personal truths. Everything before......my friends, parties, trips, family, etc.........all of that needs to fit into my life within the context of who I truly am.

This is leading to lasting and lifelong change for me, but it has taken time and is still a process I'm going through. My counselor told me about the term "neuroplasticity." It basically is how our brain is wired. Lifelong habits and modes of thinking are hardwired into our brains. The good news is, that these patterns can be changed. Define who you are and what you stand for and change your behavior accordingly. What seems difficult at first, will get easier as your brain "re-wires" itself.

I know this is a lot and only my personal view, but I feel like I've generally been a leaf in the wind my entire life, letting external factors like friends, work, the weather, etc influence my decisions. Lasting change for me, however, is only coming when I took a deep hard look at myself and how I view the world.

The best thing about this process is figuring out what I'm truly passionate about. That laser like focus has me really excited about the future. At 36, it feels like things are just beggining for me.