mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Moonlander XXL vs Pugsley XL

I'm in the market for a fat bike to use for go anywhere riding and off road touring. Because I want to use an IGH, I'm sticking to looking at the Moonlander and Pugsley.

The Pugsley seems to be the best regarding versatility, since I can use Marge Lites for touring and trail riding, Rolling Darryls for mud and snow, and even toss on a 29+ wheel set for more technical stuff.

The catch is that I'm 6'8". The Moonlander XXL geometry adds an extra 0.8" to effective top tube length and standover and a full 1" extra reach.

I've PMed one other person on the forums (Gigantic) my height who said the XL Pugsley was a good fit, although he felt more like he was sitting on top of the bike. Anyone out there my size with experience on the Moonlander XXL that can tell me about the fit? Or even better, experience with both bikes in their largest respective sizes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't have any experience with those bikes having a XL Krampus, but my advice as I am 6'-7" is to get the larger frame for sure.

I fit on the Krampus XL very well due to the long top tube and long wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Being 6'8" as well and owning an XXL Moonlander. I can tell you, it's almost perfect! I didn't get a chance to try an XL Pug for a proper comparison. But I can say for certain that the Moonie just feels right. The 180mm cranks are a nice touch as well.

I did end up throwing a Thomson setback post on it, but I think it's just because my Brooks B17 saddle doesn't allow you to slide it back all that much.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thank you both for the feedback. My current hybrid is about the same fit geometry as an XL Pug. It works well, but there are times when I'd like something just a bit bigger. That would be an XXL Moonlander, apparently.

Now I just need to get a build speced out and ordered.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    if you want an igh, check out the Origin-8 Crawler. the nuvinci is super smooth and nearly bulletproof.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I love my Moonlander. Just uploaded a YouTube review if anyone is curious. Surly Moonlander Review - YouTube