mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Which model for a very tall rider?

Hi,

I am about to buy my first bicycle and after long checking what my local market is offering.

My height is 202 cm (about 6.6 ft) and weight 95 kg (about 210 lb).

It came to these last two model, the first is the Trek 6300 (size 21.5) and the second is the Specialized Rockhopper Expert (size 23). The price for these two is the same and the geometry is also quit the same.

Specs:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike..._series/6300e/

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...24&language=US

Which model should I prefer?
    Thx

HTFU and Ride
    get a 29er for sure!
    Winter is coming.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Rockhopper Expert Disc 29er...probably in a 23"

mtbr member
    From the 2 bikes you linked the Spec has the longest top tube at a hair under 26 inches, there are other things I would want to check out during the test ride but the top tube is crucial.

Just a question to the other posters here, how is it making the bike fit better by going with big wheels?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by gcasper
    Hi,

I am about to buy my first bicycle and after long checking what my local market is offering.

My height is 202 cm (about 6.6 ft) and weight 95 kg (about 210 lb).

It came to these last two model, the first is the Trek 6300 (size 21.5) and the second is the Specialized Rockhopper Expert (size 23). The price for these two is the same and the geometry is also quit the same.

Specs:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike..._series/6300e/

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...24&language=US

Which model should I prefer?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Go with the 23-inch Specialized 29'er

I bought the Stumpjumper Comp 29'er in a 23. I am 6'6" and 250. PERFECT FIT!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Good 29er with decent components is out of my budget.

From the geometries that I have, the top tube (effective) of the 6300 is 641 mm while the Rockhopper's is 638 mm.

The drivetrain is the same (basic Deore), I understand the brakes of the 6300 (avid juicy 3) better then the Spec's braking system and the fork of the Spec is better then the one the Trek's got (Tora vs. Dart 3).

Am I right?

Former Bike Wrench
    A good fitting bike with lower components is 10x than a ill fitting bike with better components.

Stop shopping derailluers and shop fit...your 6'6", anything 26er will be a compromise. I'm 6' and would feel pretty ill fitted on a 24" wheel bike

Give it a test ride, then make the choice

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd give a 29er a try. I'm 6'3" and I feel great on a 29er. Always felt too big on a 26er. I can't imagine a 6'6" guy on a 26er. It's worth trying a 29er out before you make your decision. You may be surprised how much you like the big wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK

Let's take the 29er one step farther.
    How a 29" wheels makes the bicycle more suitable to tall riders?
    I checked the geometry of the 29er models in my local market and it's quit the same as the 26" model…so my conclusion is that the riding position is the same. I matched the top tube length, the size and the wheelbase.

That’s my inexperienced conclusion, what do you guys say about it?

Or maybe the answer isn't in the numbers and it's in the feeling…

mtbr member
    I never understood the big guy needs a 29er thing, I am 6'2" and my 26, 650b and 29er are all pretty close to the same size, top tube is off by a half inch from one to the other and wheel base is about an inch but that more from the type of bike and its geometry than wheels size.

I am not saying a 29er isnt for you, I am just thinking I would not limit my search to just 29ers I would try any bike that fit, I know read here there where some mainstream brands making low/mid priced XXL frames but I cant seem to find them now.

Quote Originally Posted by gcasper
    OK

Let's take the 29er one step farther.
    How a 29" wheels makes the bicycle more suitable to tall riders?
    I checked the geometry of the 29er models in my local market and it's quit the same as the 26" model…so my conclusion is that the riding position is the same. I matched the top tube length, the size and the wheelbase.

That’s my inexperienced conclusion, what do you guys say about it?

Or maybe the answer isn't in the numbers and it's in the feeling…

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you want the real answers on the 29ers, you'll have to post up in the 29er thread. I will agree that fit is #1. If you fit on a 26er and you like it, I wouldn't blame you, but as long as you are in the search for a bike, just try a couple of 29ers! You're lucky, you are searching for a bike! It's always fun to get a new bike. All I am saying is that you may as well try the 29ers as long as you are searching for a new bike. It can't hurt! The decision is ultimately yours!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Giant Trance X

I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. I have been riding a Giant Trance size XL for over a year and love it. The thing I like the best is that the head tube is 7.5" which is about an inch longer than most other bikes. This is the first bike that I haven't had to get a high rise stem/bar to put the bar up high enough (near the seat level for me). Also, the tubes are flared at the head tube and this extra contact area makes for a very stiff front end. I have read on some of the forums that 29er wheels are flexier due to the longer spokes and also heavier. Neither of these are desirable in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    29er puts the endo fulcrom point higher... which is good when you are as high up in the air as you're going to be when you're a tall guy ;-)... i've only managed to go over the bars once on my 29er... i didn't ride near as hard on my old 26er and I still managed to endo semi often

assuming the spec fits well i'd go with it... the tora vs dart is a MAJOR difference... tora uses the same technoclogy the reba and Sid do... but is heavier... the dart is known as a flexy flier...

the 29er will be a tad heavier and the ultamate wheel strength won't be the same as a similar build 26er... but i've yet to see that as a problem (and i'm 300#)... the front ends of 29ers also tend to be higher (which IMHO is a good thing when you're as tall as some of us... heck i wish mine was a bit taller still)... 29er also has more traction which is always a good thing

but in the end... ride what fits you and you like
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Dirt Deviant
    I've had problems on 29ers. I'm 6'3" and wear a size 14-15 shoe. My toes always hit the front tire when I am pedaling and turn the wheel at all. My feet are in the proper position. I'm not riding on my arches or anything.
    This is a problem I have had on every 29er I have test ridden. Never once had that happen on a 26er.
    Something to consider if you have gunboats like I do.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I've had problems on 29ers. I'm 6'3" and wear a size 14-15 shoe. My toes always hit the front tire when I am pedaling and turn the wheel at all. My feet are in the proper position. I'm not riding on my arches or anything.
    This is a problem I have had on every 29er I have test ridden. Never once had that happen on a 26er.
    Something to consider if you have gunboats like I do.
    I wear size 14 and never have had that problem on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=gcasper]Good 29er with decent components is out of my budget.

From the geometries that I have, the top tube (effective) of the 6300 is 641 mm while the Rockhopper's is 638 mm.
    /QUOTE]

You must have looked at the wrong size or numbers. The Spec is more than 2 cm longer, taller in the seattube and at the headtube.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Try 'em all. You might like a 29er. . . . or horror of horrors, you may not really find them to your liking. Plenty of short people like 29ers and plenty of tall people don't.

I (6'5") ride a 23" Kona Hardtail with 26" wheels and a 100mm RS Tora fork. A friend just got a Niner RIP with a RS Reba in 100mm. Guess what? We were both amazed how similar the the bikes felt geometry wise. The RIP was a little tight in the cockpit, but it had a short stem. I could likely live with it though.

I like the way the RIP rode and I like both of my 26" wheeled bikes too. No big earth shattering revalation, they're just bikes and if you can get a frame that fit's, a 26" wheeled bike will wotk just fine. If you ride a 29er that fits and feels good and it's within your budget, that's fine too.

Sounds to me like the Specialized would likely fit you better, but I don't know all of your dimensions. BTW, the Rockhopper in 23" is listed on the Specialized site as having a 660mm TT.

Kind of a ream that Specialized bones you an extra $200 for the 29er version which gets you exactly 10mm more TT length in 23" frame sizes and the same basic componentry

Another bike you might look into is the Kona Caldera in 22". It has a 641mm TT length (my older 23" Kona hardtail has a TT length of 642.6mm), comes with a 100mm RockShox Tora, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and an otherwise decent part spec for the same price as the Tora equipped Specialized hardtail.

Giant makes the XTC in 22" with a 635mm TT for the same price too. It comes with a Marzocchi fork and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and Marin makes a 22" with similar geometry.

Seriously, the time to compare is before you buy. Ride as many as you can. Get what makes you happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    jeffj,thanks for the detailed opinion. According to specialized's site the effective TT length of the 23" rockhopper is 638 mm,where did you saw 660?

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=39224&eid=107

Some of the models you mentioned cost more than the Rockhopper here in israel,so they out of the budget.

I think I'll go for a second look on the rockhopper and decide. I'll keep you guys posted :-)

op
    Last edited by gcasper; 02-24-2009 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hello again,
    I went to the shop today to check the Rockhopper. I’m disappointment due to the fact that the fork of the model which is on sale here is the RockShox Dart 3 and not the Tora. From what I read, the Dart 3 is not very recommended.

That’s bringing me to another option- GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc.
    http://www.gtbicycles.com/isr/eng/Pr...dventure/#5717
    Same brakes like the Rockhopper and better drive train components (SLX), and from I read the fork (SR Mag 32mm) is better.

What do you say…
    Rockhopper?
    Trek 6300?
    GT?