mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Which model for a very tall rider?

Hi,

I am about to buy my first bicycle and after long checking what my local market is offering.

My height is 202 cm (about 6.6 ft) and weight 95 kg (about 210 lb).

It came to these last two model, the first is the Trek 6300 (size 21.5) and the second is the Specialized Rockhopper Expert (size 23). The price for these two is the same and the geometry is also quit the same.

Specs:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike..._series/6300e/

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...24&language=US

Which model should I prefer?
    Thx

mtbr member
    I'm 6'6" myself and my LBS stressed that a 24in frame was what was needed for me on my Trek 4500. Have been riding it back and forth to work and local trails on weekends for over a month now and have had nothing but a positive experiance.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gcasper
    the second is the Specialized Rockhopper Expert (size 23).
    I have the '08 Comp Disc 23 incher and love it. Loads of room @ 6'5" My knees have never come close to the handlebars.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 6'4" (all legs), I had the 21.5" Trek 6300 and found it too small. If you are going to go for the Trek, I think you would be best following YETI2424's advice and trying to get a 24' frame. A test ride comparing the 21.5' and 24' would be ideal if your LBS can arrange it for you. A liitle bit or testing now saves a lot of frustration later.

Muddy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't decide until you get a chance to ride a 29er.

I have an older 22" Trek (I'm 6'6") and a 21" 29er. The 21" 29er is bigger and fits alright. The 22" Trek 26er is way too small. Specialized makes some 23" 29ers too.

Working Man's Toilet
    I am the same height and top tube length is everything- you may want to consider 29er wheels as they are more proportional to the frame size and your height- I have had a specialized and trek both- my 29ers have fit better, with the same top tube lengths.

willtsmith_nwi
    Stay away from Giant and Trek XXL frames. They have short top tubes. Specialized XC bikes tend to have long top tubes. Gary Fisher bikes have VERY long top tubes. So you might fit an XL Fisher.

Your best shot is probably the Specialized 29ers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I went into my LBS yesterday with my best friend, who is 6' 9" tall. Needless to say, he has a problem getting bikes. The guy who helped us showed us a new Kona 5-0, which is supposed to be a hardtail out of bounds bike. However, it has the longest top tube in the industry. On a 22 inch frame, all he did was install a layback seatpost and a 120mm stem, and voila.. a bike that fit my friend very comfortably and will work perfectly for XC! He weighs 230, so he had no problem with being too heavy for the fork. If you are more than that, the Kona 5-0 deluxe has an air fork on it. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As you can see at the attached file, the top tube length of the Trek 6 series is longer than the Rockhopper's. (641mm Vs. 638mm).

The GT Avalanche 1.0 does not come in size XXL, only XL which seems to be quit small, isn't it?

What do you say about the Kona cinder cone?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uncoordinated coward
    Sep 2005
    As you can see at the attached file, the top tube length of the Trek 6 series is longer than the Rockhopper's. (641mm Vs. 638mm).

The GT Avalanche 1.0 does not come in size XXL, only XL which seems to be quit small, isn't it?

What do you say about the Kona cinder cone?
    638mm is the actual top tube for the Rockhopper, not the effective top tube. The 23" Rockhopper has a 660mm effective top tube, the 23" 29er Rockhopper has a 670mm effective top tube.

Also, you'll get more reach for a given top tube length with a steeper seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbitw
    638mm is the actual top tube for the Rockhopper, not the effective top tube. The 23" Rockhopper has a 660mm effective top tube, the 23" 29er Rockhopper has a 670mm effective top tube.

Also, you'll get more reach for a given top tube length with a steeper seat tube angle.
    So I should compare Horizontal TT to effective TT?
    Till now I was sure that "actual" refers to "effective" at Specialized geometry table. I guess that the diagram some of the brands are showing in their website can really help…

This is an important note!

Uncoordinated coward
    Sep 2005
    So I should compare Horizontal TT to effective TT?
    Till now I was sure that "actual" refers to "effective" at Specialized geometry table. I guess that the diagram some of the brands are showing in their website can really help…

This is an important note!
    Horizontal = effective. They're referring to the same thing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi all, I`m 1,96 mts tall and I ride Giant Alliance XL 26" with 140mm thomson stem and I feel absolutely confortable. I`m very satisfied with this setup. In Argentina is hard to impossible to find a 29er to give a try. Best regards!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thx to all of you for helping me to decide.
    I'll go for the Specialized Rockhopper 26", I believe it will give me the best combination for my budget and physical challenge.
    From now on it's about finding the time to go to the dealer.

I'll update with pictures...

local trails rider
    Can you test ride it in your size, to confirm the fit?

Height is not all there is to it: is it long legs or long torso? long or short arms, etc, etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    promised to update...
    Yesterday I picked my 23" Rockhopper.
    Only short rides so far, but I'm very happy!
    Here is some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks great!
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Go The Distance
    I have always liked specialized bikes, nice color on this one, too. I have had three previous specialized bikes and just recently switched over to a Turner Sultan xxl frame since I am 6'6". I love the larger wheels and frame size, but in the end it's good to be on a bike and riding. Great choice.

Bat Fastardson
    I'm 6'6" and for me the 25" Giant hardtails are the most comfortable.
    All's well that ends.