mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Mega Clydesdale looking for help

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums and have been out of riding for a while so not up to speed on the newest gear/equipment and looking for some help.

to start off I am 6' 4" tall and am hovering around the 400lb mark. that being said I am still a pretty active guy, I play slo-pitch & fast pitch softball and still lace up the Hockey skates occasionally. most of my "excess bulk" is carried in a big belly . One issue I have is that I am 6'4' tall but have short legs (30" inseam)

Anyway I am trying to get set up for biking this summer and need some help to make sure I have the equipment required so I don't flatten the bike like a Chihuahua that the fat lady accidentally sat on.......

the only local bike shop here sells Kona, Rocky Mountain & Norco's. I have been doing some internet research but you can't beat the guys who have been there and broke it for advice. I know I am going to get a hardtail but what is the strongest frame, should I use the normal tire's or get a set-up with 29er's. what seat post is rated for "elephant" other than solid cold rolled steel.

any help/advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated..

Northmoose

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just to put my weight in perspective when I was in prime shape I was 275lbs, so the 400lbs isn't the whale dimensions it sounds like!

I am about 100lbs overweight and the probably 75lbs of it is just my belly... not much fat anywhere else!

Former Bike Wrench
    You left out price range, but the Norco BC Trail hardtails are quite burley with stout frames and wheelsets. You might consider getting a rigid fork, although the Norco Bigfoot for instance has a Marzocchi DJ3 which is coil with air assist so you might be able to make it stiff enough for your weight.

One suggestion would be to spend the money and have a nicer rear hub laced up, big guys tend to kill cheap rear hubs pretty fast. Something like a Hadley or King.

As far as sizing, size to the top tube for your torso and deal with a reduced standover. Otherwise you'll be cramped up on a smaller frame and likely be destroying seatposts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    price range is roughly around the $1000 - $1500 area but not set in stone on that as it is more important to get the gear right the first time so I don't spend a bundle on ugrades/replacement parts

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Northmoose
    price range is roughly around the $1000 - $1500 area but not set in stone on that as it is more important to get the gear right the first time so I don't spend a bundle on ugrades/replacement parts
    Fits right into my suggestion with an upgraded rear wheel

Correction, the DJ3 has gotten crappier the last few years, I'd replace it with a rigid fork or upgrade to a DJ2
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 04-07-2011 at 03:48 PM.

@adelorenzo
    Norco Sasquatch would be one you should check out. Also, it seems like Kona doesn't make the Hoss or the 5-0 anymore, but maybe your dealer has one left in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As for the seat post maybe a Thomson Elite? I have it and it seems pretty bombproof.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went to the LBS yesterday and tried on a Norco Bigfoot.... I am sure the front fork was not set very stiff but it practically flattened out when I sat on it!

They had a Rocky Mountain Fusion, that has a Rock Shox dart 2 that has a lockout so you can make it a rigid.. it also had shimano hubs, gears & shifters. cant remember what the brakes were but it had maxxis tires as well.

I really liked the Norco frame but the front shock didn't give me the warm fuzzies, talked a little with the guy about a deal for changing it on purchase...

Have you guys had much luck with Rocky Mountain bikes? What would be the better option, Norco & changing the front or the Rocky Mountain Fusion?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks for the seat post suggestion I will check into it!

I Strava Hamburgers
    The Norco Jubei series is what I started to ride at 312lbs. I put that thing through some really long miles, and some really big pain at that weight.

Norco makes some really clyde friendly kit, check them out.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The rock shox dart will not work well. It is likely you will break the lockout if you try to ride with it locked out on rough terrain. The Marzochi DJ3 on the bigfoot is also going to be difficult to work with as it is a coil fork with no air assist.

It is not economical for the shop to upgrade the fork. If you can swing it the Norco Sasquash comes with the Rockshox Sektor which should be air adjustable. The extra $300 will also get you better components and will be worth it in the long run. The Rocky Mountain is not a good choice for you, it is cross country bike built for 180 pound riders. The Norco a stronger bike with components designed to be used for more aggressive riding.

You mentioned the shop also sells Kona, the Stuff is worth looking at as it has the DJ2 fork which uses an air assist.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Former Bike Wrench
    I went to the LBS yesterday and tried on a Norco Bigfoot.... I am sure the front fork was not set very stiff but it practically flattened out when I sat on it!

They had a Rocky Mountain Fusion, that has a Rock Shox dart 2 that has a lockout so you can make it a rigid.. it also had shimano hubs, gears & shifters. cant remember what the brakes were but it had maxxis tires as well.

I really liked the Norco frame but the front shock didn't give me the warm fuzzies, talked a little with the guy about a deal for changing it on purchase...

Have you guys had much luck with Rocky Mountain bikes? What would be the better option, Norco & changing the front or the Rocky Mountain Fusion?
    Your too big for almost any suspension fork, hence the suggestion of a rigid fork until you lose the weight. Or as I suggested possibly a Marzocchi DJ2 with the air assist. And the Dart 2 is a HORRIBLE fork for someone your size, no way should you even think of getting that...seriously!

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Thompson for your seat post; rigid for your fork. The laws of physics do not allow you to do anything else until you bring your weight down. We know it sucks, but unless you find a way to re-write the laws of physics, that's the way it's going to be
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I realise that a rigid fork would be the best for me but try and find half decent bike right now with a rigid front end... Norco doesn't offer one, neither does Kona.... I have trouble even finding a website that sells rigid forks!

so I have to make sure that I get one with the best shock options... so far definately leaning towards the Sasquatch for the extra $$$ it looks like you get better components

Former Bike Wrench
    I realise that a rigid fork would be the best for me but try and find half decent bike right now with a rigid front end... Norco doesn't offer one, neither does Kona.... I have trouble even finding a website that sells rigid forks!

so I have to make sure that I get one with the best shock options... so far definately leaning towards the Sasquatch for the extra $$$ it looks like you get better components
    The Bike Shop can order and install one for you. The Norco uses a pretty long travel fork so you'll want a long Axle to Crown length rigid. Something like a Surly Karate Monkey fork (yes, a 29er fork but with disc brakes it doesn't matter) will be close to a 120mm fork taking into account sag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You must be looking for forks in the all the wrong places:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...&pricemax=2000

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...ke-26-Fork.htm

Just as an aside, without knowing anything about your age or overall health, etc., please be careful ramping up your riding. I encourage you to check in with your doctor and let him/her know what you are doing and make sure they don't want you to do any tests before embarking on your biking adventures.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks for the websites

the ones I was looking at only had the carbon fibre rigids for $300+
    definately did not want to spend that on a rigid!!