Thread: Max heart rate?

mtbr member

Max heart rate?

Ok a little background. I am 40yrs old, 5-11 and have gotten to my all time high of 308lbs. This is my 3rd week riding almost every day, only trail ridding the last 4 rides.

The last 4 rides have all been on novice trail except today, when I took on the intermediate trails. While riding the novice trails my heart rate can reach 140-160 depending on how hard I ride but today on the intermediate my HR got up to 195. I stopped and within 3-4 it was down to 125.

According to guides Ive seen my target HR is between 108-140. Are thse guides accurate? I would have to ride so slow to stay in that range that it would be really boring. Whats the best way to get healthier so I can ride harder, longer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by infanterene View Post
    Ok a little background. I am 40yrs old, 5-11 and have gotten to my all time high of 308lbs. This is my 3rd week riding almost every day, only trail ridding the last 4 rides.

The last 4 rides have all been on novice trail except today, when I took on the intermediate trails. While riding the novice trails my heart rate can reach 140-160 depending on how hard I ride but today on the intermediate my HR got up to 195. I stopped and within 3-4 it was down to 125.

According to guides Ive seen my target HR is between 108-140. Are thse guides accurate? I would have to ride so slow to stay in that range that it would be really boring. Whats the best way to get healthier so I can ride harder, longer?
    The generic Max heart rate is:
    220-age

However, it's quite variable. From my understanding it's more about you and your physiology than fitness. i.e. Your max heart rate is pretty independent of training. However, the max heart rate can vary significantly among people of the same age.

That said the generic MHR for you is: 180. If you are just getting back into exercise then running near your max heart rate is a bit dangerous. Don't give yourself a heart attack.

Keep riding and monitoring you heart rate. When you can ride for extended periods of time at a given heart rate you'll start to learn what zones you are in for endurance, aerobic and anaerobic training. As you become more fit you heart rate for those zones rises.

i.e. your anaerobic threshold rises as your cardio fitness rises.

So... Try to keep in zones where you can ride without stopping and ride for and extended period of time. The fitness will come over time. Also, diet plays a role too...

I Strava Hamburgers
    FIRST THING

Go to your doctor, figure out what your body fat % is. This way you can figure out what your lean mass is, and determine what a proper weight for you should be. Not all of us Clydes here can slim down from 320 to 200 lbs. I applaud those who can, but some of us, 235 even 240 is going to be like 12-15% body fat. Which is NORMAL. You need to see your numbers before you can figure out what you should actually lose. Since we don't know your body type or your story yet

The best way to get healthier and ride longer is to drop your weight down. Eat good quality food and healthy choices and just keep riding. It will come. I've been at it for close to a year and a half, and I have dropped down quite a bit of weight, but still find myself in the 245-250 area. One thing you shouldn't concern yourself with right now is Heart Rate training.

Its extremely beneficial in the future, but right now, you should be working on altering your mindset, and using the HRM to give you an indication of when you should just rest for a few min and let your body catch up.

Though hats off for pushing yourself so hard already!

You should automatically reject food that you KNOW is absolutely terrible for you. I haven't had a coke in almost 3 years because I trained myself not to touch the stuff. Nor have I had a grease ball McDonalds burger in... probably close to 5. Not because I hate them. I know they're tasty as hell, and I'd be more then happy to sit down and pound like 5 of them right now, but I think of how damaging they are to my system, and every skinny mofo I have to chase down in the bush and I reject it instantly favoring riding harder, and recovering faster, then 10 minutes of bliss.

You're also in your 3rd week. I'm not sure what you were doing prior to biking, but your body is now adapting to your new sport. It will resist everything you're doing to it because its out of the norm, so you will have to fight through some things, and learn to nurse others. A redlining heart is something you should NURSE. A sore and injured leg, is something you nurse. A body that whines by way of fatigue is something you have to fight through. The more you fight the whining, the faster and healthier you're going to get.

To me, it sounds like you should hit that novice path and ride hard there. Do a week set of 3 novice rides, and one intermediate ride, making sure to keep an eye on your heart.

EAT CLEAN NORMAL FOOD. Do NOT touch anything you obviously know is bad for you. Keep the grease and terrible carbs *cookies, white bread, chips* out of your system. Keep on with the biking, and you'll hit your harder and longer goal.

Also, biking never gets easier, you just go faster. I used to laugh at that mantra, but hills are the same difficulty they've always been to me. I just get up them in a quarter of the time compared to when I was 300+lbs.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    I think just keeping at it without pushing it too hard is the way to go.

Iím 45, 5í11" towards the end of June I weighed 237. Went on a ride, 1st moderate hill I hit I jumped up into the mid 170ís. That made me really uncomfortable (in my mind).

Been doing cardio, counting calories, eating healthier, vitamins etc. Down to 214 and on the same hills Iím in the low-mid 160ís. Hopefully it will continue to get better.

For me 220-45*85% is ~148, Iím hoping I can get to the point of doing some rides with lots of elevation without blowing past 150 all the time on the hard stuff.

mtbr member
    I have a real hard time with eating right. If I get down to around 240 but with increased stamina and strength I will be happy. I havent weight less than 240 since playing high school football. I have been a coach potatoe ever since.

This is the only form of exercise that I have found truly enjoyable. Thanks for the tips. Now I'm off to ride.

Dirt Deviant
    A couple years ago I wore a HRM just to see where I was at for several rides.
    I was normally hitting 190 when really putting effort out.
    Above 190 and I was frothing at the mouth and feeling woozy.

Now a couple years later, doing the same rides I decided I should try my HRM just to see where I was at.
    Putting out the same effort, but going much faster now I was suprised to see my HR only getting up to 150.
    Really cranking up the hills, you know where it hurts REALLY bad and you have snot and spit coming out of your face, I was very suprised to see my HR never getting higher than 161.
    I think thats a good sign of how much healthier I am after 2 years of hard riding.

Stick with it and don't over do yourself.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Don't use the standard method to calculate heart rate... at least for me, it's wildly inaccurate. I use this Karvonen Heart Rate Calculator to calculate heart rate and it's pretty accurate.

I usually run between 160 - 170 , but I find it hard to make it up there biking. 191 is my calculated max hr, but I've only been able to hit 189 and that's at the "slow down or pass out" stage.

mtbr member
    Remember also that medication can effect heart rate. If you have asthma for example it's possible that your medication increases your rate. You might not notice it when you aren't exercising but it will move up quickly with certain drugs.
    He who dares....wins!