singletrack lush

Mavic xm 819 rim w/ Dt Alpine III spokes rear wheel for a clyde?

I think I finally decided on a new rear wheel build...well, almost.
    Currently Im running a JensonUSA built Mavic x3.1disc rim, XT hub, double butted Wheelsmith spokes. After two seasons the rear wheel does not stay true, it started popping spokes and on the last ride the hub started dragging. So, Im thinking of getting a whole new rear wheel built using Mavic xm 819 disc rim/King ISO hub/ and some beefy DT Alpine III spokes. Does that sound like a solid reliable built for a 230lbs clumsy rider on a Turner 5-spot?( from what I understand the xm 819 is really similar to x3.1).
    Or, just to be on a safe side, should I go with the heavier 36 spoke ex 823 rim, King, and lighter DT supercomp spokes? Anybody know the weight difference between the two setups.
    Oh, I ride rocky, rooty NE singletrack with a 2' drop whenever one comes along.

Neg reppers r my biatches

Wrong rim for you then..

Quote Originally Posted by marzz
    Currently Im running a JensonUSA built Mavic x3.1disc rim, XT hub, double butted Wheelsmith spokes. After two seasons the rear wheel does not stay true, it started popping spokes and on the last ride the hub started dragging. So, Im thinking of getting a whole new rear wheel built using Mavic xm 819 disc rim/King ISO hub/ and some beefy DT Alpine III spokes. Does that sound like a solid reliable built for a 230lbs clumsy rider on a Turner 5-spot?( from what I understand the xm 819 is really similar to x3.1).
    Or, just to be on a safe side, should I go with the heavier 36 spoke ex 823 rim, King, and lighter DT supercomp spokes? Anybody know the weight difference between the two setups.
    The XM819 IS the X3.1. Mavic simply changed their numbering system across the board and based on their new numbering system, the X3.1 is now called the XM819. Therefore, you better look at a less girly-man rim.

"XM" indicates what you can consider All Mountain type rims.

"EX" indicates a more extreme, FR or DH type rim.

The first digit represents the level of quality of the rim with "8", representing quality feautures AND tubless.

The second and third numbers represent inside rim width.

Therefore, the XM819 is an All Mountain type of rim, tubless, and has a 1.9cm inside rim width.

I would personally recommend one of the following:
    XM 321 (just under 600 grams per rim). This is a cheap rim too.

EX 823 (more burly Mavic rim with higher quality and tubeless)

Syncros DS28 (awesome rim and only about 540 grams rim). I just got mine yesterday and they look sweet.

Cheers

singletrack lush
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    The XM819 IS the X3.1. Mavic simply changed their numbering system across the board and based on their new numbering system, the X3.1 is now called the XM819. Therefore, you better look at a less girly-man rim.

"XM" indicates what you can consider All Mountain type rims.

"EX" indicates a more extreme, FR or DH type rim.

The first digit represents the level of quality of the rim with "8", representing quality feautures AND tubless.

The second and third numbers represent inside rim width.

Therefore, the XM819 is an All Mountain type of rim, tubless, and has a 1.9cm inside rim width.

I would personally recommend one of the following:
    XM 321 (just under 600 grams per rim). This is a cheap rim too.

EX 823 (more burly Mavic rim with higher quality and tubeless)

Syncros DS28 (awesome rim and only about 540 grams rim). I just got mine yesterday and they look sweet.

Cheers
    THanks FoShizzle, I really like the ust rim, so from what the rims you listed, the 823 is the way I'd go. Im kinda weight concious, so I figured if I went with the ex 819, I would lace it with spokes stronger then the Wheelsmiths which Im currently running, The DT AlpienIII and hope that this built would hold up better.
    Last edited by marzz; 01-08-2005 at 10:40 AM.

livin' large
    I changed the rear wheel on my slayer to a XM819 (with xt hub and straight gauge spokes, brass nipples) and It's been really good compared the stock disc 223 deore hub with double butted spokes alloy nipples, which still works but needs to be trued and tinkered with after every ride.

I'm 6'2" 265lbs and ride rocky rooty Southern Ontario Singletrack, with the odd drop for giggles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you got 2 years out of your x3.1, I would get the same thing again (now the 819). I figure 1-2 years usable life for light wheels is normal at our size. I would highly recommend the following, regardless of rim/hub selection:

Have the wheel handbuilt by an experienced builder
    Use a 32-hole wheel with standard 3x pattern with double-butted spokes (stronger than straight-gauge spokes*)
    Alloy nipples are fine (brass are stronger, but not necessary on a good build)

* Double-butted spokes are the best option -- the wheels are actually stronger than with straight gauge spokes because they have more give, so they flex instead of snapping. I would avoid the Revolutions at our size, hard to get enough tension on them.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    THanks FoShizzle, I really like the ust rim, so from what the rims you listed, the 823 is the way I'd go. Im kinda weight concious, so I figured if I went with the ex 819, I would lace it with spokes stronger then the Wheelsmiths which Im currently running, The DT AlpienIII and hope that this built would hold up better.
    fair enough....

King hubs of course are sweet and I agree with another poster that one of the most important, if not the most important, is the build itself. I have received now 2 wheelsets in the past 2 months (dont tell my wife ) and I expect them to last a LONG TIME since Larry at mtnhighcyclery built them up.

Cheers

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    If you got 2 years out of your x3.1, I would get the same thing again (now the 819). I figure 1-2 years usable life for light wheels is normal at our size. I would highly recommend the following, regardless of rim/hub selection:

Have the wheel handbuilt by an experienced builder
    Use a 32-hole wheel with standard 3x pattern with double-butted spokes (stronger than straight-gauge spokes*)
    Alloy nipples are fine (brass are stronger, but not necessary on a good build)

* Double-butted spokes are the best option -- the wheels are actually stronger than with straight gauge spokes because they have more give, so they flex instead of snapping. I would avoid the Revolutions at our size, hard to get enough tension on them.
    I had 819s. they are too skinny. I only ran them for 2 months. I just rebuilt my wheels this weekend with 823s. I just wanted to run fatter tires. it also makes skinny tires fatter. and more air volume.

FYI, neat trick. the spoke lenths are the same between the 819 and the 823. so I losened the spokes, taped the new rim to the old rim and then moved one spoke at a time. all you have to do it undo the UST niple holders and move them to the new wheel one at a time. then true up the wheel. cool. mavics UST are cool. A very handy trick if you kill a rim.

and what ever you do. do not invest any money in a QR front axle.

also the 823 has a thicker lip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

CK ISO's with 819's...

I've got the exact wheels you're looking to buy on my Spot and they've been great for the past year. As another poster mentioned, the build can make or break even the best wheel components. I had mine hand-built by Gravy Wheels in NorCal and they are fantastic! BTW, I'm 6'1" and 215lbs.

M