mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mavic XC717 rims!

any clyde riding these? i want a new wheelset and i was thinking of 717 with hope pro 2. i currently ride xm117 that camo ion my rush with no problem for my style of riding. i'm 6'2 220 lbs. i also want to try tubless at least on the rear to prevent pinchflatting. what is my best choice 717 with stans sealant or the 819 rim?

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been looking at a new wheelset myself (6' 235lb). I'm 100% with you on the hubs, but my rim choices are at the 819's if I go tubeless or DT Swiss 5.1's if I don't.

If I could get an answer on how easy it is to build up the 819's (I'm not very experienced at building my own wheels, esp. when it comes to UST wheels), I'd likely go that route so I have more flexibility in tubeless or not.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Underskilled
    Hi,

I have run 717s on LX at XT Hubs and weigh 140lb.
    Avoid like the plague, havn't had a wheel taco on me but they are bent every few inches around the wheel.

The hub should be fine, but get a MUCH stronger rim.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I can't recommend the 717 for a clyde. I had a set built up and got about 500 miles out of them before I pulled the spokes out of the eyelets. I went to a 719 which is holding up pretty good so far.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I've been running a 717Disc/XT combo with 2.3" and 2.5" Weirwolfs for two years and weigh 280lbs. I bought it already built up and have only had to true (really not much more than just tighten some of the spokes) it a couple times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    If I could get an answer on how easy it is to build up the 819's (I'm not very experienced at building my own wheels, esp. when it comes to UST wheels), I'd likely go that route so I have more flexibility in tubeless or not.
    819s are pretty easy to build. They are a good strong rim and they true up nicely. Dealing with the UST side of things is a bit fiddly when you're lacing the wheel (you need a special tool - LBS lent me one) and you must get the right spoke lengths - that's about it.

I'm currently running a new bike that came with 717s and ... they are surviving so far but I'd be better off going to 819s, like I have on my other bike. The 819s have done full on Alpine descents with all the roots and rock gardens you can imagine with no signs of any issues. The 717 on the rear (three days old) is creaking and the tensioning obviously is all wrong. I hate to see alloy spoke nipples on a bike as well as the grief they cause down the line far outweighs any putative benefit.

Main issue is that the rim width of the 819 will support a big tyre better, which will always be a good thing for a clyde.

Glad to Be Alive
    definately go tubeless with the 819's.....if you do drops and such...there isn't much weight penalty to go with the 823's....a little wider tire profile
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    For normal XC riding and with a good built the 717 will be fine. I dare to say that majority of rim problems are a result of a poor built.