mtbr member

Mavic Disc 717 for clydes?

Hi Guys...
    Oh man, I don't know what's going on with me, but I just don't like my CrossRides. Therefore, I want to buy a new set of rims and hubs.
    Hubs are not a problem - Shimano XT -, but I'm thinking on buying 717s for them. What I'm looking for is something that can support my not-so-feather weight (220).
    What do you guys think?

W

mtbr member

Btw....

I ride aggresive XC. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by seis66
    I ride aggresive XC. Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    Not a particularly good choice for your weight unless you're very easy on wheels. I would say DT 4.1d at the minimum, or something like the 719 or DT 5.1.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mavic 819 rim seems to be a popular AM/aggro XC choice.

mtbr member
    What about 321?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seis66
    What about 321?
    They are a bit heavier (50 - 75 grams each) than the other ones mentioned, but they are cheap, strong and relatively stiff.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I weigh 280 and have been riding 717's for a few years with no problems, but I would listen to Larry's (ventanarama) advice for the best outcome.

'All over it!'
    I weigh in at 240lb and use the Mavic 819. They are not overly heavy at 480g a rim, but they have withstood some serious Welsh abuse here in UK. You also have the added bonus of running tubeless which as a relative newcomer to this, I find brilliant.

At our weight, the extra 100g or so will not be felt, although an unexpected big hit may make the decision for you. Go for the 819, a great rim in my honest opinion.

wants a taco
    i was between 200-215 for a while riding the 317's and they held up fine, (the hubs died before the rim) and i rode somewhat agressive. If you ride smart and dont plow through things they are fine but they really arnt ideal like has been said before