mtbr member

Mavic Disc 717 for clydes?

Hi Guys...
    Oh man, I don't know what's going on with me, but I just don't like my CrossRides. Therefore, I want to buy a new set of rims and hubs.
    Hubs are not a problem - Shimano XT -, but I'm thinking on buying 717s for them. What I'm looking for is something that can support my not-so-feather weight (220).
    What do you guys think?

W

mtbr member

Btw....

I ride aggresive XC. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by seis66
    I ride aggresive XC. Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    Not a particularly good choice for your weight unless you're very easy on wheels. I would say DT 4.1d at the minimum, or something like the 719 or DT 5.1.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mavic 819 rim seems to be a popular AM/aggro XC choice.

mtbr member
    What about 321?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seis66
    What about 321?
    They are a bit heavier (50 - 75 grams each) than the other ones mentioned, but they are cheap, strong and relatively stiff.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I weigh 280 and have been riding 717's for a few years with no problems, but I would listen to Larry's (ventanarama) advice for the best outcome.

'All over it!'
    I weigh in at 240lb and use the Mavic 819. They are not overly heavy at 480g a rim, but they have withstood some serious Welsh abuse here in UK. You also have the added bonus of running tubeless which as a relative newcomer to this, I find brilliant.

At our weight, the extra 100g or so will not be felt, although an unexpected big hit may make the decision for you. Go for the 819, a great rim in my honest opinion.

wants a taco
    i was between 200-215 for a while riding the 317's and they held up fine, (the hubs died before the rim) and i rode somewhat agressive. If you ride smart and dont plow through things they are fine but they really arnt ideal like has been said before

Members who have read this thread: 0