mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mavic Crossrides?

Hi all,
    I've done a bunch of searches but haven't gotten any solid answers.

The Mavic 223s on my Ironhorse duel-boinger lasted me about a year. The rear rim got a little runout pretty quick but lasted alright up until the other day, when I tweaked it and blew out a few spokes. I ride not-too aggresive XC with maybe a 2 foot drops at the most.

I swung by Performance yesterday, talked to an employee, and he said that the Crossrides were a good rim that is quite a bit stronger than the 223's I had, so I went ahead and bought some. Got them home, mounted 'em up, THEN counted the spokes... Yikes! 24 on the rear! They are straight-pull, and bladed, if that makes a difference.

If they are noticably stronger than my 223's I can live with them, even if they do need a little maintainance, but I don't want to kill them too quick, for 200 bucks. BTW, I'm currently 225lbs without gear.

So have any clydes ridden Crossrides and not killed 'em?
    Thanks, Brian.

Old Fart

Crossrides

After reading the reviews on Mavics on this site I decided against them. Spent the big $'s on a set of Daves Speed Dreams. Custom built. I don't have them yet but if the reviews are close to true I'll be very happpy.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    I've got the Crossride's on my full suspension BMC (5" travel) and love em' so far. When I built my bike the LBS said that they are about the strongest Mavic's, and the owner said he took em' out and put them through there paces and they stayed true. A very unique and tuff design. I'm 6'4" 220 by the way.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the replys guys. Yea, I wish I could afford a set of high end wheels but, unfortunatly, I gotta' watch my penny... I decided to take them for a ride though, and really liked how they felt compared to my old wheels, so decided to keep them even if I had to treat them nicely. Good to hear they're not totally fragile.
    Thanks again, Brian.