mtbr member

Mavic 719 29er rim strong enough for 220 # aggressive rider?

I wan to build up another set of Hadleys with Mavic 719's. Do the big boys like?
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, I've got them on my hardtail. They have taken everything I have thrown at them and I have never had to true them.

mtbr member
    knoxpossum, can I run them tubeless with stans tape and tubeless tire? or do I need a kit with the rim strip? that might be a deal breaker, if I have to use a kit. I really want to build up a pair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I use tubes in mine. I don't think just tape will work with these rims, I would definitely use rim strips if I converted them. I just use tape on the stan's rims on my other bike, but those rims are made to be used tubeless....the mavic rims aren't.

mtbr member
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks bro!

mtbr member
    My LBS recommended a custom Mav 719 build for me, and I weigh in at 300. But, I opted go with Sun Ringle MTX 33's; awaiting delivery.

mtbr member
    My LBS recommended a custom Mav 719 build for me, and I weigh in at 300. But, I opted go with Sun Ringle MTX 33's; awaiting delivery
    Nice! I think you made the right choice. Please post pics of the MTX 33 and give us a ride report. What hubs are you getting with them.

mtbr member
    I'm actually having 2 rear wheels built; a DT 540 for the road which I'm going to use an XT hub with for now, and a Hope Pro 2 for the Sun 33's (non steel body w/ a spider for the big five cogs). Wanted higher end, but I also had to order a lot of other $tuff. I'll post pic when built.

mtbr member
    Anyone with advice on DT double butted vs alpine spokes for a super clyde?

mtbr member
    TheAntiSpoke, I wish i could convince you to go with a Hadley rear, I know $ doesn't grow on trees, but man, I REALLY LOVE my Hadleys. My I9's haven't broken in yet and I'm having an issue with my t/a on my fork right now, but when i build another wheel, the Hadley's are def #1 in line to be laced up in front of the I9. IMHO the hadleys are roll better and smoother, not that the I9s aren't smooth. Just Hadleys are so bang for the buck. I love the way the front cap for the front 20mm DH hub doesn't press in, it screws in. Very quaility hubs. When my mech laced them up, he said they were the smoothes he's ever felt. I know you'll really like the Hopes, best bang for the buck, but the Hadleys are so smooth and the 72 POE is really nice. I am riding some DT 520 right now laced to my hadleys. They are pretty nice and they occasionally get out of wack, but nothing major. I was riding some real fast and hard rock gardens the other week and it developed a slight out of round, still rideable though. They seal up pretty nice with just stan's yellow and tubeless tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A cutom built wheel with tn719 rims handles my 330 Lbs with ease.

mtbr member
    Lurge, what kind of riding do you do? I sometimes ride that crazy, rocky, techy, bombing stuff very aggressive. Are you riding like that? I really want to build up a set of Mavic 719.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Lurge, what kind of riding do you do? I sometimes ride that crazy, rocky, techy, bombing stuff very aggressive. Are you riding like that? I really want to build up a set of Mavic 719.
    All of that riding I do on my preferred wheelset which is custombuilt NoTubes Flow 29" 36 laced to Chris King ISO hubs. They rock!
    But the 719 handles singletrack with no problem.

mtbr member
    Lurk I just got a set of flows/I9. The front hub needs to be machined again. But I ll see how the flow hold up. I think I'm going to go mavic719 36 hole w Hadley. R running the mavic tubless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No I havent tried the tn719 Tubeless yet.
    The problem is that for some stupid reason I got them built with Deore rear hub. And I totally crushed the rear hub.Got tired of rebuilding the rear hub the 3. time it happened. The CK hubs have been flawless though...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report on the mavic. U helped make me get them. Once u go w nice hubs , there's no going back! Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good luck!

shining bright
    I'm running 719s with Shimano Deore hubs, and mine have been setup ghetto tubeless for about a year now. Ran them with tubes for about 6 months before that. Never had to true them and they have taken a good bit of abuse. I had the set on my hardtail but now they are on a RIP 9. I'm about 255 at the moment.

mtbr member
    Finally had my DT 540 & Sun MTX 33 wheels built, along with an array of other problems resolved. Below is the Sun-Ringle; hope to get it dirty later!

mtbr member
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    Here's some more MTX33 shots laced to Hope Pro II's with the steel free body...I love mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I run the tn719's with Stan's rim strips and toga psycho genius tires tubeless. Setup was a snap. Aired up with a floor pump and sealed quickly.

I'm with stupid
    Im right around 200 geared up and what my friends call a very aggressive rider. I Have hope pro II hubs and 719 on my canfield and they are tough. Ran them all over colorado, Hit a 4' to flat drop with a rigid fork cause the other option was crash trying to stop and they did not come out of true. I also ran them with just some rim tape and they worked and inflated with a compressor I also when the "ghetto" tube route and that worked as well. Hope this helps.