mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Maverick Durance as heavy-duty XC racer?

(cross-posted to the Maverick forum too)

I'm looking for a heavy-duty XC racer to replace my Trek Fuel EX (4" F/R). At 6'2", 200 lbs, I guess I only qualify as a "light" Clydesdale. But even so, I'm breaking things (Gravity Dropper seatpost, WTB saddle, Trek Liquid frame, all recently; and apparently I'm torqueing my current Fuel frame enough to keep loosening up the pivots). I'd say my riding style is "hard XC". I rarely/never drop off anything more than 2 ft high, and I try to ride with finesse (although I've got a ways to go on that). Occasional minor crashes (I am trying to expand my envelope), but I _really_ try to stay upright.

I was thinking my next bike was going to be a 29er (seriously considering a Lenz Leviathan), but I've recently become intrigued with the Durance. The Durance seems pretty heavy-duty, and I'm thinking the suspension design might resist a heavy guy's torque better (am I dreaming?). A DUC fork seems like a good match too.

I'm really into the medium/long (i.e. endurance) XC race events these days. I do about a dozen of these types of races a season. Can anybody comment on using a Durance for this type of riding? I know even with a burly build I could keep it below 30 lbs, but 6"/5" still seems like a lot of travel for a XC race bike.

Thanks,
    Darrin

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by djsfcco
    (cross-posted to the Maverick forum too)

I'm looking for a heavy-duty XC racer to replace my Trek Fuel EX (4" F/R). At 6'2", 200 lbs, I guess I only qualify as a "light" Clydesdale. But even so, I'm breaking things (Gravity Dropper seatpost, WTB saddle, Trek Liquid frame, all recently; and apparently I'm torqueing my current Fuel frame enough to keep loosening up the pivots). I'd say my riding style is "hard XC". I rarely/never drop off anything more than 2 ft high, and I try to ride with finesse (although I've got a ways to go on that). Occasional minor crashes (I am trying to expand my envelope), but I _really_ try to stay upright.

I was thinking my next bike was going to be a 29er (seriously considering a Lenz Leviathan), but I've recently become intrigued with the Durance. The Durance seems pretty heavy-duty, and I'm thinking the suspension design might resist a heavy guy's torque better (am I dreaming?). A DUC fork seems like a good match too.

I'm really into the medium/long (i.e. endurance) XC race events these days. I do about a dozen of these types of races a season. Can anybody comment on using a Durance for this type of riding? I know even with a burly build I could keep it below 30 lbs, but 6"/5" still seems like a lot of travel for a XC race bike.

Thanks,
    Darrin

Not sure about the durance but here's a HUGE thumbs up for the DUC32...Riding one on my Sinister 29er...LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

unityhandbuilt