Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Masher + Alumnium + BB = THE CREAK

I've got THE CREAK in my BB.

I'm riding a 95 GT Zaskar these days, as my Cannondale Prophet just doesn't seem nearly as fast. The aluminum frame of the Zaskar is stiff and responsive and really lets me put the power while sprinting.

Now granted, I'm a 210lb masher. I'm decently strong (even if my endurance blows) and I really put a decent amount of torque into the crankset/bottom bracket.

I've tried greasing the BB with anti-seize but THE CREAK persists. Any other solutions or stories from fellow mashers?

Not a lurker
    I've got it too in my 96 or 98 (I'm really not sure) Rockhopper. My solution? Ride it until something breaks and then just get a new bike.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Creaks are the bane of biking, and it's not necessarily your bottom bracket, as those big hollow aluminum tubes do an excellent job of transmitting sound. If it is the BB, I would suggest wrapping the threads with teflon tape--this is a good secret weapon in the war on creaks.

But I would also check your seatpost, your pedal spindles, your chainring bolts, your handlebars, etc. All your clamping surfaces. Good luck.

bike rider
    What kind of crank and BB do you have?
    Keep the Country country.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I had it in the 1996 Cranks and square taper, had it again with my octalink hollowgram's and now I'm gonna give the bike a whirl with fancy new outboard bearing Hone's.

I think the problem may have been the spindle/crank interface, because it was the only place I didn't grease.

I don't know why I asked this question when I sort of knew the answer.

bike rider
    And I think you're going in the right direction with Hones. Good luck. SLX are another good option. Lighter than Hones but I'm hearing that they are stronger (maybe also stiffer) than XTs. People are using them for DH.
    Keep the Country country.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm not worried about the strength so much as the BB and the interface.

The nice thing about the outboard bearings is that they spread the torque out across the BB much better than traditional BB, and no issues with creaking splines.

My "main" ride (05 Prophet) is now playing second fiddle to the 19 year old hardtail. It's only a matter of time before the GT gets the Pike and disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Garou
    I would suggest wrapping the threads with teflon tape--this is a good secret weapon in the war on creaks.

But I would also check your seatpost, your pedal spindles, your chainring bolts, your handlebars, etc. All your clamping surfaces. Good luck.
    This. Repeated for posterity. Grease and teflon tape.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the same issue with a 98 Avalanche, I replaced the crank set and now my only creaks are from the derailluer cables.

I've been happy with SLX.
    Attached Images Attached Images