mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Manitou Tower Pro for a big fella

Hello Gents,
    the bike I have now has a lovely SR Suntour XCR LO 29" shock on it (propping up a 2013 DB Overdrive Sport). Due to my "clydesdale" status, I basically have to lock the darn thing out unless I want to nose dive going off a curb...it's silly. It's garbage. If it is not locked out, just sitting on the damn thing compresses it about 3/4 of the way. I have an old Manitou "six" on a Haro that at least holds me up.

I've been doing some prodding, and it seems quite a few of us in the "big n tall" club use the Manitou Tower Pro. I've seen a pair going for about $325, for the PRO, with MARS AIR, 120mm, 32mm stanchions, 9mm drop out, 1 1/8, etc. Seems like it would be a good replacement for my current pogo stick.

Does this seem like a good deal? Would you whole-heartily recommend such a fork for a guy in the "300 club" (hey, I'm tryin here)?

I'm not looking to do big air here, just something to soak up the ruts and bumps in life's trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a tower pro and Im about 240lbs , make sure you get a clydes spring If you get a tower pro, this fork is amazing you will never regret it and right now I think you can get it for 250 at price point!!!!! this fork is super plush and It hold me fine and feel ver nice. Im sure 300 club will be the same just put more air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Holy smokes that is a good deal, I'm gonna jump on that.
    And by clyde spring, you mean the xxfirm one, yeah? I think it was part 141-26744-K004 from a google search? This looks like it may be a winner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well I bit the bullet and got that fork, the price was too good to pass up. However, after reading a bit about the XXFirm clyde kit, they seem to be hard to come by? That's irritating. I just shot an email to my LBS to see if they can order it, but I don't remember seeing any Manitou stuff around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    yeah but eventually youll get it, email manitou too, they are the best customer service , grats on your buy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well the LBS says they cannot get them, Manitou won't sell directly to consumers. So...have to try some other shops. Anyone reading this know of Manitou dealers in AZ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Found another LBS who is ordering the kit, $24.99, and installing it and cutting the steer tube for my bike for another $80, seems extremely reasonable!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I (at 260lbs to 270lbs soaking wet) rode the Manitou Tower Pro with whatever spring came with it, and loved the fork. I guess you'll be able to use less air pressure to preload it with that xxfirm spring in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Possibly..I'm going to talk to my LBS about it. I've read of people putting like 150psi in it with the xxfirm spring, which seems way to high. Maybe they are using it for more extreme things. I just want something to hold me up and have some cushion.

Riding bikes since 1976
    Please post the link to the LBS where you found the spring upgrade.
    I am in IA, with no local LBS that can/will order the XXfirm.
    Already bought the Man Tower Pro from Price Point, yea 250, I know. Friggin GREAT deal.
    TU.

And please give us a ride report.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yep, awesome deal! I talked to the folks over at Landis Cyclery, Landis Cyclery, Bicycle & Triathlon Shop: Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, AZ. They have been very responsive and helpful so far. I'm dropping the hog off on Friday to get the Manitou cut and fitted.

I will certainly post a ride report. I'm no expert on jargon and whatnot, so it'll just be the opinion of a fat-guy-on-a-bike.

Riding bikes since 1976
    Cool.TU.

And by the way I have been using a Reba SL.
    Interested in your opinion.
    Last edited by Gear Head; 12-21-2013 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I couln't resist and ordered some of the 120mm Towers. I have an SE Stout I bought a few years ago and have been looking for 2nd hand forks for a while. New at this price couldn't be resisted!
    I'll try them first with the standard spring and see how they go. I rode Rebas for years so it will be interesting to try them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine arrived today, and it's B-E-A-Utiful. Can't wait to get it hooked up. I wished they had the black ones, non tapered, but oh well. The white will look good next to the dark matte blue on the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    *UPDATE* Finally got my bike back from the LBS with the XXFIRM spring and fork installed. Took them a while to get to it due to the holidays and such.

It's light years beyond the SRXCR that was on there (to be expected). I'm running about 110PSI in it (now that I figured out how to take the shock pump off without letting out all the air...). I'm getting about 23mm of sag, which seems good for me. I've only had a chance to ride around the neighborhood so far, but it's great. There is quite a bit of brake dive though, and I think I just have to play with the dampening/air pressure to figure that out. Or loose some weight...but...that comes with time, hah.

Looks good on my bike too, I think.

mtbr member
    nice. getting ready to pick one up for my hardtail as well.

mtbr member
    can a tower pro 29 be set at 100mm or 120mm ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    They come in 80/100/120mm versions...if that's what you mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhauler View Post
    They come in 80/100/120mm versions...if that's what you mean?
    That clears it up , thank you for your reply. Your bike looks good by the way..

mtbr member
    140mm fork on has the x-firm spring FYI... I'm 285# and the X firm totally changed the bike.. gave me a ton of small bump compliance.. it rocks!

Enjoy it OP

mtbr member
    I have a manitou drake...great fork. I'd definitely buy into the brand again if I wear to ever look for another suspension fork.