mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lyrik Coil Spring for Clyde

I am 6'4" 255lbs and looking at a Rock Shox Lyrik coil. Will the x-firm spring still be too light for my weight? I talked with SRAM tech support and he thought I would be okay, but on the high end of the weight limit. Any real world experience out there on rider weights for the x-firm Lyrik spring?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmoondogg View Post
    I am 6'4" 255lbs and looking at a Rock Shox Lyrik coil. Will the x-firm spring still be too light for my weight? I talked with SRAM tech support and he thought I would be okay, but on the high end of the weight limit. Any real world experience out there on rider weights for the x-firm Lyrik spring?

Thanks!
    If you find out that the coil isn't quite firm enough for you, you'll have nowhere to go. At 255 you should have no problem tuning an air for your weight. If you don't get any real world experiences here try posting in the suspension section. Good luck!
    Last edited by BigJZ74; 03-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks BigJZ74. I have been on a Talas 150 for the last couple of years and it still feels harsh and definitely flexy. I even had it tuned for my weight. I am experimenting with coil front and rear, but coil front may not be an option. X-posted to suspension to get their thoughts.

Ow!
    I think it depends on what you will use it for. I used a Lyrik coil u-turn on my Nomad for a few years. I weighed 280 lbs at the time, and the firmest coil was fine for me. That said, I was mainly using the Nomad/Lyrik for bashing through rocks, less line picking, and occasionally 2 to 4 foot drops. I doubt it would have worked well for me doing bigger drops (but I get too skeered anyways, so usually I don't). If you are looking at more "freeride" kind of stuff, it may not be satisfactory.

I now use a 2006 Marz 66 ETA Light (which is air suspended) on the Nomad. Still the same type of riding, but with a little less caution. The Lyrik is better for more rough trail riding, where the 66 just bashes everything and definitely can take harder hits. The 66 is stiffer, but that Lyrik is very stiff also.

I ride air and coil these days. I still think generally coil gives a better ride, but air is very, very close. Right now, I am riding a lot on Marz Micro Ti's. The Marz 55 is a little nicer than the Lyrik, but neither are nearly as plush as the old Marz 66.

Double-metric mtb man
    moondogg,

I'm just a little shorter than you, but in the same general weight class. I've been running a Lyrik U-turn coil with the x-firm spring on my Knolly and have nothing but praise for it. I don't go crazy on it, but I have put some decent air and good number of stair runs under the tires and not had any issue with the fork at all.

BigJ is correct in that an air fork may give you more options/range, but if you're looking at coil, then from my experience, the Lyrik with the x-firm should work.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me