Thread: lymphedema

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job! lymphedema

I have this knarly disease and it causes extreme weight gain because of lymph fluid filling up the muscle and fat tissue with fluid. In December I weighed in at 425 lbs. and three months later on Feb. 5, I weighed in at 337lbs. The members asked why I want to ride bike and I said I had to. See riding causes my muscles to pump and squeeze the fluid out and I can get my weight down to reasonable levels. Once I start riding every day I should be able to lowered my weight down to the mid 200's. This is an on going battle with this disease but I'm determined to be victorious. I ride rail trails and want to start riding more of the 20 mile trails unlike last year when I rode maximum 10 miles. Riding is really a blast and I hope to combine riding with my fly fishing. I'll ride to the streams not in them! Next time you see a fat person on a bike don't laugh because it might be me and I'm trying. Remember we don't all walk around with a spoon in our mouth. Until then keep the rubber side down and I'll see ya' at the trail head.
    Larry

Making fat cool since '71
    That's a lot of weight loss, nicely done. Keep it up (down?)! I'd never laugh at you for being fat. I *might* laugh at you if you crashed or had pepperoni sticking out your nose or something like that though. I would definitely laugh if you crashed and *then* had pepperoni sticking out of your nose.

Seriously, good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Yea I'm proud of what i've done so far but I wrote that article to make people aware of a disease that most docs don't even understand. Yeah, I think I would laugh at a site like that. That reminds me of the time I went hunting and invited a friend. He had a pack that was filled with food, enough to feed an army but the funniest thing was the huge hoagie he whipped out for lunch in the field. Hoagie in one hand and an 30-06 in the other. Ridiculous!!
    Larry

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I hear ya on the disease that docs don't understand... wife was diognosed with something pretty uncommon... but looks like it might not be the correct diognosis... currently waiting on tests for something even more rare... weight gain is part of it...

me on the other hand... i'm fat from my own doing... need to spend a lot more time in the saddle ...

big thing is you're out there riding and enjoying yourself...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone who is over weight and is still out there riding or walking or swimming, Kudos to them cause they haven't given up and are still trying.

Donalson, thanks for the nice words and I'm sorry to hear about your wife but I pray that they'll figure it out and the two of you can continue with your lives together.
    Larry

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Props for being proactive on your disease. I see lymphedema patients daily at work, and sadly, too many take a passive "what can you do to help me?" approach, while they do crosswords, watch tv and eat their lives away. The success stories always seem to come from people that refuse to be controlled by their disease.

Rides strong, and live well!

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggets
    ..... keep the rubber side down ...
    That's pretty damned boring.......

Seriously, I commend you! Taking control of ones life and body is the best step in any aspect of your own life. You have a hard row to hoe and I wish you luck. And don't worry about the small minds that might have something to say about a larger person on a bike. You are correct, we all don't eat like hogs.

Also, you may want to check with a LBS to see about getting some basic, beefier components for your bike. A heavier built wheel set and tires that have a higher tire pressure and weight rating are just plain smart. Also be sure your axles and hubs are beefy too.

There is no shame in being a clyde!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Nuggets, I see your posts in all the forums and make it a point to read them. You ask a lot of questions that are pertinent to a lot of us, but we may not be willing to ask for ourselves. Plus you're very open with your weight issues & I commend that. Congratulations on your weight loss and for taking the bull by the horns and not letting your disease consume you. Thanks for your thoughtful posts and for giving (me, at least) some food for thought.

Hip
    mtbr member
    Way to go!!!! I was up to 369 and had the same issues. I am at 230 now and trying to get under 200 by summer. You can do it!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great to hear about your progress while riding bike! I always respect any person that is overweight and out exercising. It's great to see people with extra weight trying to do something to get healthy. It's really impressive when people like you have an even bigger hurdle to get over because of your health condition. Keep up the good work! I am very impressed!