Toro

Loosing weight too fast?

I have been taking protein shakes before and after long strenuous rides. These are made up of about 26g protein/15g carbs. I eat a good meal an hour or two afterwards. I eat well throughout the day. I am constantly eating fruits and salads in between meals and I don't retain weight.

I'm dropping 2-5 pounds a week. This is a recent development. I've been pushing harder but I have also been increasing my caloric intake. I don't want to increase my caloric intake too much because it is my goal to loose weight until I am comfortable in my frame. I've gone from 261lbs last April to 241lbs a week ago. I am about 238lbs now. That's an average of 1.5lbs or so a month I lost over the fifteen month period. Now I'm on track for almost 10-12lbs a month!

I feel great. I have tons of energy and my rides are much more enjoyable. I take longer rides, more climbs, etc. So I am aware that I am spending more energy than before. I just can't make myself eat anymore than I already do in order to slow down the weight loss.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your not loosing weight too fast, i lost 15 pounds in just under 2 weeks when i started my healthy eating and biking, if your feeling good then just go with it,

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dentyx View Post
    Your not loosing weight too fast, i lost 15 pounds in just under 2 weeks when i started my healthy eating and biking, if your feeling good then just go with it,

Copied from a weight loss forum:
    "My understanding is that many people can lose rather more than that - say 10-15 pound, BUT:
    - a little bit of that is stored glycogen in your liver and muscles and therefore a one off
    - quite a lot of that is water retention, and therefore a one off
    - some of the remaining extra is lean tissue, and therefore NOT GOOD FOR YOU
    - once you go past 1-2 lb per week your body will wise up and your metabolism will go down, so this is not sustainable and will actually make more weight loss harder"

Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post

Copied from a weight loss forum:
    "My understanding is that many people can lose rather more than that - say 10-15 pound, BUT:
    - a little bit of that is stored glycogen in your liver and muscles and therefore a one off
    - quite a lot of that is water retention, and therefore a one off
    - some of the remaining extra is lean tissue, and therefore NOT GOOD FOR YOU
    - once you go past 1-2 lb per week your body will wise up and your metabolism will go down, so this is not sustainable and will actually make more weight loss harder"
    From this I am imagining that water and stored glycogen are the things I am loosing the most. I am adjusting my recovery time accordingly. I have not regressed yet since I began to shed weight. I'd rather take it very slowly than to drop pounds quickly and have problems. I am not on a diet. I am making lifestyle changes. That's what has worried me as of late. The fact of the matter is that the caloric intake should only amount to one or two pounds per week. Perhaps the increased long distance rides and the heat have combined to dehydrate me a bit. I'll see about that. Thanks for the input.

By the way, this is my personal best attained yesterday:

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is a fairly normal phenomenon. The fatter you are the faster and safer you can drop fat. This usually drops in intensity 6-8 weeks. Losing the first 40 is easy, losing last 20 may be a problem

BTW if you drop at this rate, then it means that you started doing something right diet wise

Anyhoo. I personally went down from 290 to 190 lb when I was dieting 5 years ago. FIrst 60 lb went down in two months. Followed by 25 lb lbs in two months and the reminder taking another 6 months. And from what I managed to dig up lots of really big people had similar experiences.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    This is a fairly normal phenomenon. The fatter you are the faster and safer you can drop fat. This usually drops in intensity 6-8 weeks. Losing the first 40 is easy, losing last 20 may be a problem

BTW if you drop at this rate, then it means that you started doing something right diet wise

Anyhoo. I personally went down from 290 to 190 lb when I was dieting 5 years ago. FIrst 60 lb went down in two months. Followed by 25 lb lbs in two months and the reminder taking another 6 months. And from what I managed to dig up lots of really big people had similar experiences.
    +1

You're doing fine! Congrats and keep it up! I dropped about 100 lbs or so in about 9 months. The first month I dropped about 4-5 lbs/wk. From there the weight loss continued at a progressively slower rate,

1-2lbs/wk is silly. If your grossly overweight it starts out fast! It's mostly water/inflammation and some fat. At the end you wrestle with muscle gain vs. fat loss... Thus at the end weight is a poor metric.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sounds good to me.

Lets ride!
    Aug 2011
    It's a very natural occurance when your working hard. I did years of bodybuilding before i started getting into mtn biking. At one point, I was dropping 15- 20 pounds a month.. The last 10-20 pounds like stated above, are by far the hardest to loose. Your body adapts to the changes, that is what makes it so hard to keep shedding the weight. Keep up the good work man, seems your doing everything right!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What is your maintenance caloric intake? How many calories does it take to maintain your current body weight?
    What is your BMR?
    How many calories are you consuming a day?
    What is the macro breakdown of those calories? Proteins? Carbs? Fats?
    Are you getting most of your calories from whole foods?

These are all things you should know. To lose 1-2 lbs. a week you should be at 500 calories below your maintenance a day. You should be getting sufficient amounts of protein and fat, and then filling in the rest of your calories with carbs.

I see that you have an odo on your bike and track your mileage. You should do the same with your body and track your calories.

There is a lot of good information here: Nutrition - Bodybuilding.com Forums

I would recommend reading the stickies at the top. The guys on that forum can be a little harsh, but if you just lurk and wade through the BS, you'll come out a lot more knowledgeable than you went in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I started my WL journey at 320 and am currently working my way through the 250s... First 50 came off in three months. Held steady for awhile. I am recharged now and making another run. A lot of good advice above and I wont duplicate.
    Best things I can tell you that helped me ( and no one else told me). I never gave up beer ( though I did cut back).
    Change your lunch-- I used to eat leftovers from previous dinner-- I cut that out to a sandwich or something else. Leftovers are an extra dinner's worth of calories.
    Get a go to "snack" you can eat that is better than all the bad options. Fruit is not always going to cut it.I found rice cake chip crackers. With the cheese on them they are okay and fill that salty want. They are not Tostitos but they get me by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    admittedly i didnt read all of the previous posts.. but when i started working at losing weight i was losing approximately that much too.. over time my loss slowed down and i reduced my caloric intake (basically im not hungry enough to eat the calories my doc sais i should) as long as you FEEL ok then go with it.. pay close attention to your body..

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ29er View Post
    What is your maintenance caloric intake? How many calories does it take to maintain your current body weight?
    What is your BMR?

These are all things you should know. To lose 1-2 lbs. a week you should be at 500 calories below your maintenance a day. You should be getting sufficient amounts of protein and fat, and then filling in the rest of your calories with carbs.

I see that you have an odo on your bike and track your mileage. You should do the same with your body and track your calories.

I would recommend reading the stickies at the top. The guys on that forum can be a little harsh, but if you just lurk and wade through the BS, you'll come out a lot more knowledgeable than you went in.
    Good advice here.

Another great resource is Paleo Diet for Athletes. It can be very time consuming to track every meal, but I think it's a good idea to do this for at least a week (several websites can help you do this including mapmyride, training peaks, and others I'm sure. Then you can check other foods as needed if you think you are going to be off for the day and look at your caloric consumption compared to expediture for the week. I found this also made me be very conscious about my meal selection and as a result, I made better choices. IIRC it takes about 3000-3500 calories of work to reduce your weight by one pound and most people should aim for 1.5-2lbs a week, but people who are significantly overweight seem to be able to lose much more than this initially.

Also realize that depending on your size, you body weight may fluctuate 6 or more pounds a day. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after I pee to get a good idea of what my weight is. If I change more than a couple pounds or so from the previous morning, it tells me that I probably didn't drink enough water after my workout from the before. Remember, 1 liter of water=1 kilo=2.2 lbs.

Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    Good advice here.

Another great resource is Paleo Diet for Athletes. It can be very time consuming to track every meal, but I think it's a good idea to do this for at least a week (several websites can help you do this including mapmyride, training peaks, and others I'm sure. Then you can check other foods as needed if you think you are going to be off for the day and look at your caloric consumption compared to expediture for the week. I found this also made me be very conscious about my meal selection and as a result, I made better choices. IIRC it takes about 3000-3500 calories of work to reduce your weight by one pound and most people should aim for 1.5-2lbs a week, but people who are significantly overweight seem to be able to lose much more than this initially.

Also realize that depending on your size, you body weight may fluctuate 6 or more pounds a day. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after I pee to get a good idea of what my weight is. If I change more than a couple pounds or so from the previous morning, it tells me that I probably didn't drink enough water after my workout from the before. Remember, 1 liter of water=1 kilo=2.2 lbs.

Keep up the good work!
    I like to use tracking software like fitday.com to find the macronutrient in certain meal combinations. I then have a list of the different meal combos I usually eat that I can draw better track what I intake without having to imput every little thing.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice sharing.
    I think it's good to lose weight, but I would slow it down a little. Too much too fast can get out of control easy even when you think it's all going good. Keep running and working out and eating healthy,

Toro

Update

Since the original post, I've lost another few pounds. I'm currently fluctuating between 218-222lbs. Thank you all for the feedback. I hope everyone else is on track as well.

By the way, I've blown my previously posted personal best out of the sky!

Here's a taste of where I am now.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check this site out. He has some great advice on eating.
    Good Luck.

Becoming Lean | The Simple Saloon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would not be to worried about it personally, i have come down from 370lbs to 262lbs in just over a year... some of it has come off really quickly (14lbs in the last 2 weeks) and other times in will be at a more stable rate. Losing so much weight it inevitable that you will lose some lean mass (not lugging around as much weight). If this is a massive problem for you make sure you have some weight training in your routine.

One way of adding calories to your diet without increasing your eating is swapping in calorie rich foods (Whole chocolate milk, olive oil, nuts and peanut butter and avocado)!

Ridin' Furry
    All this talk about weight loss is making me feel guilty about eating the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies i just made...

/dips one in milk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Alot of good advice and alot of good feed back,

From my experience in the past, I have been as big as 395 lbs at 6'3, I have had many weight loss training, though gym and my own research and even training in Mixed Martial Arts.

A few years back I decided to lose weight and went at it hard, I was working a tough job and also trained in Mixed Martial Arts at that time.

I was loseing as fast as 10-20lbs a week.

Normal? no, Safe? debatable.

Because I was a bigger guy you tend to lose weight alot faster than some one who is more fit, but when you start getting closer to a lighter weight, the less you start loseing cause your body starts to plataue (sorry my spelling isnt the best) to reserve because your mind tells it your loseing weight to fast and to preserve the fat... So you constantly have to change up your routine. But if you see a dramatic weight loss at the begining and then see it tapper off, its normal.

But like stated priviously you need to take EVERY THING into account, your BMR, your Daily caloric intake to maintain stationary, and go from there, figure out how much you work out and figure out what you need your daily intake to BE to lose at a safe rate.

Some experts will say cut 1500 calories from your daily intake is a safe rate wich would mean that you would lose "around" .5lbs a day.... Because one lbs of fat is around 3500 calories.

Do the math not hard at all and BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wow, i just looked at the starting date of this post, didnt relize it was so old LMAO

Im sure he is a buff guy no longer in the clyde section lol

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ29er View Post
    What is your BMR?

body building .com is a good site , I would also go try some of the crossfit forums they have a ton on eating/nutrion advice... My biggest issue with Body building.com it seem to push to much of the suppliments which i do not have a issue with taking suppliments but too often people losing weight will look/say a suppliment is the cure all... I have a fitness buddy and he is always saying ABS are made in the kitchen....

Crossfitters tend to walk the line of more natural foods and suppliments , which i tend to try instead of all the crazy things on the market ,

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If your eating an appropriate amount of calories with nutrient dense foods then there is simply no such thing as losing weight too fast as long as you understand that if you were morbidly obese your skin isn't going to tighten up fast enough and you will have excessive skin in areas. when someone truly dials in their nutrition to perfection it can be amazing how fast the lbs come off. it's difficult to do for most people who are so accustomed to eating poorly but in this case it sounds to me like the op fits that category. when I do long hard rides in the summer I knock off a 6 pack afterwards. as a result, my weight stays the same. If i were sucking down a protein drink like the op I'd be a ripped 220 instead of a fairly jacked 250