mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Looking for Wheelset Advice

250lb Clyde looking for a sub $300 wheelset. I ride a '10 Trek 4500 (26") which is 95% stock. I ride mostly flowy singletrack, no jumps/drops more than 2-3ft. max. The current bontrager wheelset that came with the bike struggles to stay true and I usually end up braking 4-5 spokes a year.

Some of the options I have researched @ BWW are below:

Pure XM's
    Mavic 717
    WTB Laser
    Mavic 317
    Mavic 321

They all appear to be listed as "good for larger riders", but larger than what??? Looking for something that will handle the weight and stay true. Have you had any luck (good or bad) with any of these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode the hell out of the Mavic 717 with XT hubs. I was 6'2 and 250. Now, I am running Roval XC Race (very light) and I have had no issues, but I dropped over 20 lbs and still dropping. I do not ride too aggresive, but hardley baby them! I never had the 717 go out of true...

mtbr member
    I'm 240 lbs and owned a pair of Mavic 321 rims built up to Hope XC hubs back in 2005. They were very strong rims. Im actually looking at building up a second wheel set and may use them again.

mtbr member
    I have Sun Ryhnolites with XT hubs. They are a bit heavier but quite tough and have stayed true for a long time.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you're riding with 2.1" or 2.2" tires, you could get away with a 317 or 717. I have owned both. I did split the 717 length wise (between spoke holes and where the sidewall meets the spoke bed) by running a 2.5" Nevegal. For that reason, I would recommend the 321 instead for clyde use. You can run wider tires (the 717 and 317 are 2.3" max tire size) with the 321, and they are hell for strong (I have a couple sets of those too). The extra width also yields a better tire profile.

The Rhynolites are also wide and strong, but my grind with them is with the shallow spoke bed which can make mounting some tires somewhat more difficult. Definitely strong and cheap though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think handbuilt here is the key. You need wheels that are not only strong (rims) but a wheel with proper tension. I've been very happy with 719's 36 spoke & King hubs. , bu destroyed some machine built 317's on XT's. I'd be willing to be the 317's would be fine if they were built & tensioned correctly. I've run into the same issues on my road bike - ruined open pros 32 spoke w/ 105 hubs that were machine built, yet am on my 3rd season of CXP 33 32 spoke w/105 hubs and have never had an issue. Even if you by prebuilt, I'd have a good wheel smith detention & retention them before you roll.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GoIrish4663 View Post
    250lb Clyde looking for a sub $300 wheelset. I ride a '10 Trek 4500 (26") which is 95% stock. I ride mostly flowy singletrack, no jumps/drops more than 2-3ft. max. The current bontrager wheelset that came with the bike struggles to stay true and I usually end up braking 4-5 spokes a year.

Some of the options I have researched @ BWW are below:

Pure XM's
    Mavic 717
    WTB Laser
    Mavic 317
    Mavic 321

They all appear to be listed as "good for larger riders", but larger than what??? Looking for something that will handle the weight and stay true. Have you had any luck (good or bad) with any of these?
    I would not recommend Mavic 317 or 717 rims for a 250# rider. The really good deal on BWW is the Mavic X819 wheelset for $200 with DT Comp (2.0/1.8, not the typo 1.6) spokes.

Components - Mavic 819 Tubeless, XT 6bolt SALE - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 6'2" #250 and just bought a set of XT, Mavic 719, 2.0/1.8 32 hole wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They're much stiffer than the Vuelta XRP-based wheels they replaced. I spent about 6 hours on the trail this weekend and they've not needed any retensioning or truing. The out-of-the-box build quality seems good.

I got my wheels shipped for less than $300. They're worth a look.
    Last edited by jmjenki2; 03-19-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: How does the internet work?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    I would not recommend Mavic 317 or 717 rims for a 250# rider. The really good deal on BWW is the Mavic X819 wheelset for $200 with DT Comp (2.0/1.8, not the typo 1.6) spokes.

Components - Mavic 819 Tubeless, XT 6bolt SALE - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    819's on 6 bolt XT hubs with butted spokes for $200?

IMHO, I would look no further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    BWW shows "out of stock" on that wheelset but thanks for pointing those out.

Former Bike Wrench
    BWW shows "out of stock" on that wheelset but thanks for pointing those out.
    Well then I would look at the XT/719 wheelset

Mountain - Trail & All Mtn - Mavic 719 Shimano XT 6bolt - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Does anyone know the difference between mavic xm321 and en321? Is there any real difference or is this a model year difference?

Former Bike Wrench
    Does anyone know the difference between mavic xm321 and en321? Is there any real difference or is this a model year difference?
    Same rim...different model years

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I go 6'6" and about 230. I ride typically XC and AM terrain here in Colorado. I have a set of BWW Pure XCR wheels, purchased new and have 2+ seasons on them. The are light, perform well and have lasted through 3 frame breakages. I'd buy another set tomorrow if needed.

-E

mtbr member
    6'2 and about 260. I love my Mavic 321's, they occasionally get taco'd but are an easy fix. I'm riding ZTR Flow's more lately and they are holding up surprisingly well but may be a bit out of the price range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    either mavic xm719 or xm 819 on XT hubs, but if you want to stay on the safe side go with Mavic EN521 on xt hubs, sweet enduro rims can take a beating!! either wheelsets will run you under 300$

EN521 on xt's wll run you around 200$ on ebay right now!! and believe me they are super strong!!! don't go for rhyno lites unless you getting the XL (machines and welded) but the EN521's are a better rim these days anyways

check this link:

Brand New Mavic EN 521 Shimano XT Disc Brake Mountain Bike 26" Wheelset | eBay