mtbr member

Looking for Ti frame with longer ETT

i am in the market for a decent Ti frame and am finding that none of the "off the shelf" models like the El Mar will give me the 25.25 to 25.75 that i am looking for in the ETT on their XL models. custom is an option of course but of course we are talking substantially more $$ and i am horrified by the wait times.

can anyone offer ideas? something with sliders would be best case but i would consider anything including used.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    i am in the market for a decent Ti frame and am finding that none of the "off the shelf" models like the El Mar will give me the 25.25 to 25.75 that i am looking for in the ETT on their XL models. custom is an option of course but of course we are talking substantially more $$ and i am horrified by the wait times.

can anyone offer ideas? something with sliders would be best case but i would consider anything including used.
    check out triton bikes. There are a bunch of threads on here and the builder is active. I think custom starts at $1000 and delivery is pretty quick.

As this is in the clydes section I think custom would be the way to go anyway, unless you are off the small light variety. Stock ti frames can be flexy in the larger sizes with a heavier guy on them. My road bike while described as stiff by most I find flexy and scary, especially on descents and I am 200lbs and 5'10" ish.

Custom could get you on a stout bike that performs the way you want and lasts a long long time.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Maybe the 2012 GT Xizang. Not sure what the ETT is though.

mtbr member
    Have you checked out Moots? They're a big step above "decent" and will cost you but they have your size. You didn't mention 26 or 29er which could also make a difference in tt size.
    @ Rockcrusher, that can't be $1,000 per custom frame is it? I'll have to check that out.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Have you checked out Moots? They're a big step above "decent" and will cost you but they have your size. You didn't mention 26 or 29er which could also make a difference in tt size.
    @ Rockcrusher, that can't be $1,000 per custom frame is it? I'll have to check that out.
    Triton Bikes - f.a.q.

Pricing?
    Answer: Since all Tritons are custom built there are no fixed prices.
    But here are average figures of the base price to give you an idea:
    Triton XC/ 29er / road/ fixie frame: USD 969 / EUR 669 / AUD 895/ GBP 595
    Triton trials or street frame: USD 895 / EUR 617 / AUD 837 / GBP 558
    Triton fork: USD 339 / EUR 234 / AUD 318 / GBP 212
    Triton unicycle: from USD 600 / EUR 420 / AUD 559 / GBP 374
    Dmitry from triton here on mtbr: http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=472252

and there is a good thread in the 29er forum here: Triton Bikes Ti 29er ... Giving it a Try!
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Awesome, thx!

mtbr member
    thanks for all the info and ideas so far. to clarify i am looking for a 29er hardtail and Moots is actually one of the few builder i didnt check. i know most rave about Moots but i always kind of thought for the price i could go custom with the semi local guy Quiring.

AZ
    banned
    My next ride is going to be from Triton Bikes, custom geo, reasonably priced and the wait times are not measured in years.

mtbr member
    Honkonbobo,

What did you end up going with? Still looking?

I've got a couple e-mails in to Triton and am looking forward to ordering up my first Ti frame from him. After reading up on his bikes I'm sold and am going to try and figure out if he's up to building a bike for a large Clyde.

My dream right now iwould be the new MX Divide from Moots. Very slick looking bike. Going to have to see how much scratch I can save up over the winter months.

mtbr member
    Honkonbobo,

What did you end up going with? Still looking?

I've got a couple e-mails in to Triton and am looking forward to ordering up my first Ti frame from him. After reading up on his bikes I'm sold and am going to try and figure out if he's up to building a bike for a large Clyde.

My dream right now iwould be the new MX Divide from Moots. Very slick looking bike. Going to have to see how much scratch I can save up over the winter months.
    i havent done anything yet. i am in position to be able to wait and look around as this bike is replacing one that i have (niner mcr) and isnt a purchase to get me going. plus the season is winding down so i wouldnt expect to be riding anything i bought til next april.

i read everything i could find on triton and people seem to be happy with the final product and the service but for some reason i dont find myself excited about them. as i said above the moots frames are impressive but for that kind of money i would go custom and local.

i might be what some call a mini-clyde at 6' 4.5" and about 205-210lbs so i might be on the short and light end of the scale in this forum (even though i do have 3 broken frames under my belt) and i havent felt frame flex to be a major issue for me which is also why i thought an off the shelf 29er frame that fit would be fine.

thanks again for any advice so far and any other advice welcomed.

mtbr member
    I don't know where you guys are finding builders with year long wait times. I had Kent Eriksen build me a frame last year and I waited about 2 months. His prices are along the line of Moots and quality is the same(since he started Moots). Worth every penny. Also, American builders usually use 3/2.5 Ti while Triton uses something inferior (from what I've been told. I'm not a metalergist) which is a big part of the cost difference