Caveman

looking for a sturdy bike for a 250lb crusher

I'm helping a friend..
    Looking for ideas for a mountain bike (complete -new or used, $700 or less) that will survive a 250lb 20 year old with little regard for bicycles. Rigid and simple is fine.
    He's broken a few.
    Maybe a used instigator or other dirt jumper? 5' 11"
    anyone got leads or ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Get him something cheap if he doesn't give a f about bikes. When he neglects it and parts break, he won't be too mad when a replacement is cheap.

Caveman
    I'm just saying $700 is the budget. The point it to try to get something that does not have to be replaced as in the past. It's not an attitude against bikes - there is a mental disability involved.
    So looking for off the shelf strong frame & wheels, everything else can be basic.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Check out Specialized HardRock Disc.

mtbr member
    Dawes Bullseye. Single speed rigid 29er at Bikes Direct for $400. It's steel, with nice BB5 mechanical brakes and built like a tank.

Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - Dawes Deadeye
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know we all get tired of seeing the same old "what bike should I get?" threads but I wish you SS zealots would knock it off with your single speed bike recommendations in them. No noob wants a SS. Heck, no right-minded veteran wants one. Only oddball weirdos want them. No offense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    I know we all get tired of seeing the same old "what bike should I get?" threads but I wish you SS zealots would knock it off with your single speed bike recommendations in them. No noob wants a SS. Heck, no right-minded veteran wants one. Only oddball weirdos want them. No offense.
    For $700, you are likely to get better components with rigid ss than with suspension and gears. A lot of $900-1000 bikes from 2011 and 2012 are being sold for $700-$800. I have 2010 Kona Unit (rigid ss 29er), and I beat the living crap out of it (handful of 1-2' drops per session) for a season and a half without having to replace anything (I was hovering around 220 - 240lb). I had to get the rear wheel trued twice during that time. 2010 had 15g spokes on Alex EN24 rims. I don't know about 2011, but 2012 has 14g spokes in the rear and WTB speeddisc all mountain rims.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They're (we're) noobs! Riding an SS with or without being rigid, is hard. Noobs aren't in shape, they can't handle unruly bikes/trials well yet - they need all the help they can get. Lower end components with gears and suspension are better for a noob (in my opinion) than better components without them. Plus, what components are left after you remove the fork and gears? Brakes? They'll be walking the trials with a SS, they won't need brakes. Rigid I get, SS no way. Experienced/fit riders only - in my opinion. People who know very little about biking come here for advice from more knowledgeable people and I think some of those forget what it was like being a noob. I'm still a noob and I know there's no way I could handle trails without my gears. I'd be a hiker taking my bike out for a hike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cheap GT bikes.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, so we know SS is out of the question. I agree with a 2011 or 2012 Specialized bike...or find used.