mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Looking for something better

Right now I have a Giant recon, which is okay for what I have been doing when it comes to riding. Now that i am getting more involved in trail riding, I am looking for something better. I am 6'2 290 lbs and the front shocks on my giant cant handle my weight when it actually comes to going off road. I have been really looking at the specialized camber comp and I was interested to see what y'all's opinion is on how that bike would measure up with my stature. Is a ht better than an fs for someone of my weight?

mtbr member
    If it's just the fork that you're not happy with, you could always upgrade that and save a bunch of money. Of course that's not nearly as much fun as getting a new bike.

Not sure about HT vs FS at your weight. I see others riding on FS and the bobbing up and down is enough to keep me on a HT. I'm 265 down from 320 and I haven't started considering a FS bike, not sure it I ever will. Maybe if I ever start racing and only then if I get serious about it, which I doubt happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 6'3" 240 and prefer an HT to the full. I would bet there are some FS designs that don't have you bouncing down the road...I just don't have a lot of experience with FS. A ht with lockout front shock works well for everything except real technical trails.

mtbr member
    At 290 you are pushing the limit of any stock air shock. You can however send it out and have it "tuned" but then you are adding several hundred dollars more to the cost of your bike. My personal opinion is to ride your current bike till it breaks then upgrade.