mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for some suggestions

I am about to start riding again. i have a bike, 99 schwnn mesa gsx. that has gotten a little worse for ware, the deraileurs bound up, chain is a mess. and since the day i bought it, i have had an issue with the crank clicking when peddaling really hard. I was thinking about buying a new bike. (really like some of the Kona's) or just doing some upgrades to this one to get me by with my new foray into the mtb world, and upgrade the whole bike later (or possibly just the rame with my new compenentry) So i wonder, what is the better idea from what you guys think.

i have somewhere in the 'hood of $400 readily availible. I was thinking make some upgrades, get riding again, and then next summer buy a new bike/frame. If this is the case, what kind of components should i look for. i was thinking of changing out the following:
    Saddle
    crank
    deraileurs
    chain
    all the cables
    brake pads
    grips.
    and new rims, because i know the ones on the bike are real weak.

any help is greatly appreciated. oh and i am 5'11" at 270lbs. and am going to mainly be doing some light trail riding, although the trails will be a tad sandy and lots of street, city riding. lastly anyone in the south jersey area have a shop to reccomend, as well as some good spots. maybe in wharton or something. again thanks for oyur help.

it tied the room together
    Your Mesa is a strong reliable frame. I have a 2000 or 2001 Mesa GS (right before Schwinn went belly up and were bought by Pacific). Definitely replace parts and then transfer them to a new frame when this one kicks the bucket.

At $400 you'll have to pick the parts most needed:

If everything is original, I'd swap out the drive train and keep it mid-level to keep down the cost:

SRAM 850 cassette $22 (my Mesa has an 8 speed rear cassette so I'm assuming you do to)
    SRAM PC 58 chain $21
    Shimano LX rear der. $65 (I assume you have Shimano shifters)
    RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type crankset $130 - many don't like 'em but they've worked for me and for the price you simply can't argue (265 lbs and stripped the hell out of the original square tapered bottom bracket on the Schwinn but no probs with these.)

Total cost - $238 (all prices from pricepoint.com - use speedgoat.com and have them price match; you'll get free shipping for purchases over $100)

If the wheels are truely a concern, how about some Shimano XT M756 Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims $140 Another nice price buy from pricepoint.com.

By a chain whip, freehub remover, BB removal tool, some allen wrenches, and a copy of Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance and get it done!

Grips and pads should be cheap. Cables too, if you do it yourself. Seats are individual preference.

Regarding shops, I grew up in Cherry Hill and the shop my family used was Erlton bike shop in Cherry Hill. They're still around but I have no idea if they're still run by the same folks or if they're any good anymore. Check in the New Jersey forum for more info. Stay away from D&Q - over-priced and under educated in my experience. Wharton as in UPenn? Ask in the NJ or PA forum.
    Last edited by TrumbullCT; 06-19-2007 at 08:37 PM.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    tnanks for the ideas. I think i will go ahead nd buy some new gear. I like wrenching more than spending anyway. I think i will be going to erlton, my sister knows someone there that might be able to healp me out a little to.

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated