mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looking for some big boy tires

I'm 6'8" 280 running schwable nobby nics 2.2 tubeless on a trance x full suspension 29er at about 32+\- psi. I know these tires are soft but after 250 miles I've about demolished a set. I notice that in the voters the sidewalls give and I loose it in the turn. I still want the low rolling resistance but I think I need a stiffer sidewall. Any info or recommendations are appreciated.

mtbr member
    I run specialized 29" purgatory on rear 31 psi and butcher on front at 28 psi tubeless. I'm 240+/- and get about 500 miles or so out of the rear and a little more on front. They still life at that, but Im OCD about wear items.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you find that the stiffer sidewall helps cornering?

mtbr member
    No real issues on cornering. They always stick the turns. The sidewalls still appear to be good, some scaring. I think mostly from the rocks I plow through. These are beefy tires. Definitely not a cross country tire, serious tread though. I like them because they grip on the slow climbs of loose rocky sections I ride. Specialized makes tires in control and s-works version. The controls are heavier with thicker sidewalls. I have never flatted with these. I've tried other brands and seemed to flat every ride.

mtbr member
    I will second the Purgatory, the Control models have nice and durable sidewalls (S-Works version not so much). For an all-mountain tire they roll very well as well.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm starting to realize that the sidewalls on my nobby nics are too thin to last running lower pressure. I live the grip just not the cornering in turns.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I have had similar problems with schwable tires. I had the Hans Dampfs, while the those tires had thicker sidewalls I did destroy the tread in about 250 miles as well, which kinda pissed me off seeing those tires cost a premium. They did grip well but not really any better than other high end tires that cost less and last MUCH longer.

As for tires that I have had good luck with, the Kenda Nevegals, and the Forte' Tsali. I have run those both in the 2.2" version. that being said the Nevegals it much wider in the tread and grips very well even in rather loose conditions. Thusfar I have only run the Tsali on the rear but I can tell you that this tires rolls very well and seems to be very tough against rocks and pavement.

I have a set of WTB Bronsons TCS 2.2"and a set of Kenda 24SEVEN's SCT 2.0" on waiting for then the time arises to change tires.
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nevegal is one of the best Clydesdale tire. Won't win you a podium or a weight weenie pissing match but they are top notch in traction and longevity

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had the nevagal and it really lacks on cornering and mud.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    WGK108, if you found that the nevegal lacked in cornering then you might want to look at the pressure that you are running and/or suspension setup. The Nevegal is considered one of the grippier tires out there in pretty much any condition. Having ridden many many tires over the years I can tell you that the above is true and I weight in at about 260 lbs as well, so we are in a similar weight realm. I run about 32 psi on the front and about 38 psi on the rear on the 2.2" 29er version.

Not criticizing but something to consider.
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013