Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile Looking for a seatpost

I currently have a Easton EA 50 seatpost on my Rocky Mountain Element 50 that is slightly bent. I'm looking to replace it with a Thomson Elite, but had some questions.

Will the Thomson hold up to a 220lb rider? And will a setback seatpost have an adverse effect on handling (I wouldn't mind the extra room in the cockpit)? I'm mostly a cross country rider with no drops or jumps. Any help would be appreciated.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...quick and easy...

Thomson is THE seatopost for fatties...i'm 300# and haven't had a problem with mine... the wider clamp area is a nice touch to help keep your saddle rails from bending to much...

for setback... MOST seatposts have some setback... they just put it all up at the top clamp area... the way tompson clamps it's right inline with the post itself... so if you already have a setback (which you prob do) it'll fit you just fine... but if you have your saddle way up on the frame you may want to go with the straight post

heres pic example...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

wish I were riding!
    Jan 2009
    A friend of mine who weighs about 220lbs. runs a Thomson Elite on his Ellsworth downhill bike without any problems. He does some pretty goes over some pretty decent drops, too. I have Thomsons on my mountain and road bike and love 'em. They are even lighter than some carbon posts. My two cents: Thomson Elites are the bomb!
    Brakes? Who needs brakes?!?! They just slow you down...

Making fat cool since '71
    Thomson, period. I'm 260ish. They are on my big squish and SS. Strong as hell.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thomson....have one on a ss almost maxed out at height....210 w/ gear and it handles it w/ strength to spare.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I was once 230lb and did just fine- with my 191g Thomson Masterpiece. I'm now down to 165...and it still ain't budging! The LAST seatpost your bike will ever need. I took mine to a career machinist, and he took off all his eyewear....just to scrutinize the work of art I handed him. His words were, "how much did this cost?" ...lol

Thomson also makes the landing gear struts, for the 747 Jumbo Jet. If Boeing can entrust 500+ lives to Thomson......you sure can trust them with your jewels!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It looks like the route I need to take is pretty clear. Thanks for the input. Now if all this damn snow would melt up here in the Pacific NW I can get back on the dirt!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    though i do love the thomson seatpost i do feel that they are over priced. because of this i have been riding Truvative team seatpost and i have never have a problem with one of them. i have had about 6 now for different bikes and i have even clean ripped a saddle off one and it was still fine. also they are very inexpensive and are damn light. at least give it a look. also i'm 260 w/o gear and hit some pretty big stuff

mtbr member
    I have a Tomson layback, and I weigh 230lbs. I never worry about my seatpost, and I would never use a different one.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The key to Thomsons strength is the secret extrusion process. You will notice the tube is ovalized on the inside. I have one that is almost ten years old.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup the ovalized bit is neat... makes it strong like a thick tube... but light weight by removing material where it isn't needed and putting more where the high stress portions are.... it's also subtle but still bling ;-)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    btw most every high end post is oval in the inside. actually even the $15 kalloys uno ones are

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thomson. Period. It'll outlive you and me. . .

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velofreak
    Thomson. Period. It'll outlive you and me. . .
    Roger that. It will outlive mankind.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 02-22-2009 at 12:31 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Outlive mankind? Mine lived less than a week before I put a nice 20 degree bend in it (on a bad huck landing, admitedly). I run a Titec El Norte now, no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungazi
    Outlive mankind? Mine lived less than a week before I put a nice 20 degree bend in it (on a bad huck landing, admitedly). I run a Titec El Norte now, no problems.
    +1 for the El Norte

I haven't try Thomson thou, maybe if this one breaks
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Agree. THOMSON. no doubt. period.

Dirt Deviant
    I've been pretty happy with my Easton Vise, and Easton Havoc posts. I have them on several bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thomson for me.Have always used them and never had any problems.230lbs and dropping

lookin' for a hill
    i have used thomson many times, and usually went with a 410 length so to have the adjustability. with my new build I realize I don't need the extra length and could measure for the shorter. I am curious though if the extra length in the seat tube helps spread the forces with a heavier rider. So, is there a reason to get the longer seatpost even though the length isn't needed for height?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    depends on the frame... some bikes are butted to where the seat post section is thicker then the bottom of the tube... I see no reason to not have the 410 outside of the posibilty of it fitting far enough down (bent seat tubes and such)... gives you the option for plenty of post in the future or whatnot... not like those 20g are going to make you go faster... lol
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

lookin' for a hill
    yeah, I am definitely not concerned about the extra weight of the post, just wondering if my going for that little extra actually aids in strength or dispersion of rider weight.
    It does seem true that the only reason not to go long if weight is not a concern is whether or not there is a bend in the seat tube.
    I guess it will be a 410 once again. I wish I didn't sell my 30.9 during the last build, oh well.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    In addition to the Thomson - the BIG winner in this thread - here are the other seatposts mentioned:

• Titec El Norte
    • Truvativ Team
    • Easton Vice
    • Easton Havoc

Have any of my fellow clydes had success with any of the Race Face seatposts? In particular, the Diabolus DH post or the Deus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a RF Evolve DH on my AM bike. No issues to report yet.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

More seatpost alternatives? 26.8mm x 400mm

Thanks crbrocket.

So, here's my predicament: Bent my stock seatpost and need a new one. It's an odd size (26.8mm) and I need a post that is 400mm or longer with setback. My options seem to be limited to two posts:

• Thomson
    • Race Face Deus

If I am indeed limited to these two posts (please, please, correct me if I'm wrong...), the obvious answer is to go with the Thomson over the XC Deus, right?

So, here's where vanity kicks in - I just don't like the look of the Thomson setback. I know, I know... it's silly. Ridiculous, even.

In the end, I know I need to go with the Thomson. But, I'm still holding out hope that someone can point me in the direction of another seatpost alternative that meets by needs (26.8mmx400mm with setback).

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast