mtbr member
    Mar 2010

looking for a new fs all mountain/ trail bike.

ok so i am 5' 11" and am currently tipping the scales at 240 lbs roughly. i am currently riding a HT with pretty basic components ( sram x5 3x9 with dart 1 fork). i have decided to go with a full suspension do to my knees not being able to take the beating while standing on decents. i have also decided to to get a new ride when i am able to reach 190 lbs as a bit of an extra reward. i am looking to get a bike with 5-6 inches of travel with sturdy air suspension and sram x7 or better drive train. the whole thing i am trying to keep in the neightbor hood of $2500 or less. i am currently looking at a GT force 2.0 or a norce fluid 1. what does everyone thinking of these two bike and does anyone have another suggestion in this price range.

Thanks,

AB

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The usual suspects are all worth checking out, Specialized, Trek, and Giant. If your dealer has a closeout on a 2010 bike, you can get what was a $3000 bike well within your budget.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Like CDMC said. If you look at left over 2009's or 2010's, you can get a really nice 3K bike in your price range. You can also get a 2k to 2.5K bike for well under your max price.

There are a lot of choices. One to look for would be a Fisher Roscoe I or II in a 2009 or 2010 leftover. If you like 29'ers then I'd look at the Fisher/Trek entry level Hi Fi. You'll only have 4-4.7 inches of travel but I've heard that the 29 inch wheels can make up the difference.

I'm down to 232 pounds from 250 and I found a left over 2009 Hi Fi 26'er last summer for a thousand even. It was a steal at that price. It's been a very reliable ride.

Good luck!!