Super Clyde

Looking for a new bike, and I have no idea where to begin.

After selling my mountain bike and taking a break for a couple years I think Iím ready to get back after it. Since I stopped riding I had gastric bypass and lost 150 lbs. I had always ridden hard tails in the past, mainly because of my weight, I was 400 lbs at my heaviest. My last bike was a Stache 9, which I really liked, but I bought it because it was the heaviest duty bike I could find. The fork was like butter to me because it was the first fork I had ever ridden that I didnít bottom out, and the 50mm Mulfuts were the first wheels I had ridden that didnít flex like a wet noodle. Having said all that, I donít know where to begin because I donít necessarily have to buy a bike only because it is heavy duty, and I have no idea where to start looking. I like the ďPlusĒ concept, whether it be a 29+ or 27.5+, but Iím wondering if FS is worth the money. I will say, after riding hard tails for all those years(20+), I didnít like getting beat up when my rear wheel went over obstacle. Budget for this will be $3000-$3500, and Iím not opposed to looking at a bike that might be a year or two old.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    2017 Farley EX8ís are going for $2999 or less. Itís a great bike.

Congratulations on your wieight loss. 150 lbs! Thatís hard work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Scott Spark 745 XL 2017 on sale right now 2200$, originally 3200$. See my other threads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm also looking for the right bike for me. I'm still over 400lbs so I am looking for a steel framed HT 27.5+ and my budget is smaller than yours. If I had the money you are looking to spend I would get the Geurilla Gravity Pedalhead, haven't ridden one it's just that one really caught my eye.

Clydesdale Gear
    Why not another Stache? The 2018 Stache 7 is a really solid build. I've been on a carbon Tallboy for years - Pike fork, carbon wheels, all XT drivetrain and brakes. It's been sitting since I got my 2016 Stache 7 a couple months ago from an LBS demo fleet.

I swapped the stock wheels out for some Asym i35 rims laced to DT 350s. Put a 28 tooth oval ring on, but other than that its stock. And the most fun bike I've ever had. Just as fast as the Tallboy also (way cheaper too!).
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Hoof View Post
    Why not another Stache? The 2018 Stache 7 is a really solid build. I've been on a carbon Tallboy for years - Pike fork, carbon wheels, all XT drivetrain and brakes. It's been sitting since I got my 2016 Stache 7 a couple months ago from an LBS demo fleet.
    How Clyde friendly are the components on the 2018 Stache 7? One of the reason I bought the Stache 9 was because, with me at 400lbs, the components were more Clyde proof. i.e the DT hubs, the XT brakes, and the Magnum Pro fork. It seems like a lot has happened in bike components in the short time I've been out of it, I don't even recognize half the models of components I'm reading about. Now at 250lbs, I don't know what components will support what weight anymore.

Super Clyde
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Anyone?
    Scott Spark 745 Large handles 283lbs 6Ē4 jumping 2-4 feet all the time. Had for couple on months. No issues yet. The backbone on the new Spark is like a T Rex backbone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OfDirt4Dirt View Post
    I'm also looking for the right bike for me. I'm still over 400lbs so I am looking for a steel framed HT 27.5+ and my budget is smaller than yours. If I had the money you are looking to spend I would get the Geurilla Gravity Pedalhead, haven't ridden one it's just that one really caught my eye.
    Checked out Surly bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    230 lbs here, 250 is not that much. First decide hardtail or full sus? Lots of options in your price range. Plus 29ers like Surly or a Stache would work well. Check out Lenz sports and Zinn bikes, both make some good stuff for us plus sized folks. Fat bike full sus? Its a thing. Do some demos, go from there.

Super Clyde
    Honestly, I kind of want 27.5+, carbon, FS. Just because I can. Is that the wrong attitude? I don't think I want 29+ again to be honest. I had just as hard a time on climbs with a 28t front chainring and rear 42t on my Stache vs. 30t front chainring 36t rear on my 29er. I loved the traction of the 29+, but I hated climbing with it. That's why I'm thinking 27.5+ this time. I don't know if FS is necessary with 27.5+, but with my 29+ I still got bounced around in the rear even at 15psi.

One thing I've been reading about it lever ratio on FS, what's the best way to determine that for a given suspension type. It's not listed in any of the specs I've looked at. For example, a Santa Cruz Tallboy is in my price range at $3200 for an Aluminum R build 27+. Is that a good suspension type for Clydes? Suspension is the biggest ? at this time.

mtbr member
    Get a 3200 fuel ex 8 and don't look back! They're bad to the bone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post

Congratulations on your wieight loss. 150 lbs! Thatís hard work.
    He said he had gastric bypass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Checked out Surly bikes?
    Yes, I'm strongly considering a Karate Monkey. Longer reach and shorter standover works well for my shortish legs (for my height) and long torso.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    He said he had gastric bypass.
    Yes, I know. That's a very hard way to lose weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Yes, I know. That's a very hard way to lose weight.
    It's not what people think of when you say "hard work". It's a surgical method of limiting food intake. I know several who've had it and it's just not what people label as "hard work". It was a pretty off the wall comment for you to make imo.

mtbr member
    It's not what people think of when you say "hard work". It's a surgical method of limiting food intake. I know several who've had it and it's just not what people label as "hard work". It was a pretty off the wall comment for you to make imo.
    It is what knowledgeable people call "hard work". It's not an "off-the-wall" comment, it's based on two decades of doing that operation and caring for those patients for the rest of their lives. It may not fit with your particular biases, but, my opinion, you really have no idea about what weight loss surgery is, does, and how it works.

Maybe you know something about bikes and the OP's original question. You should confine your opinions to that arena.

Super Clyde
    I didn't post that I had gastric bypass so we could debate the merits of it, or the perceived level of effort. I'm honestly not interested in your opinion on the matter. I did what I felt was best for me, and I'm damn proud of the weight I've lost and the method I used. I posted this thread to ask for bike advice given my current weight, and I appreciate your input. I'll definitely look at the Fuel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    pretty much any bike made these days other than super light xc bikes can handle 250+

I would definitely recommend any of the guerrilla gravity bikes for a heavier rider. they are stout and can take a beating, and you can work with them and spec the bike how ever you want to if you think some parts will not work for your weight.

not knowing what type of riding you mainly do I would say Shred dog 27.5 or trail pistol 29er. if you are looking to go more enduro/park riding I would say the new the smash 29er or megatrail 27.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Did I miss your height?

If you are tall, there are not many carbon bikes available in decent sizes.

Super Clyde
    Not tall, 6ft with a 30Ē inseam, and a 7ft wingspan. Iím. A solid L frame in everything Iíve ever ridden.