mtbr member
    May 2011

Looking for input on Wheels

Looking for reccomendations about wheels, ride a 29er and weigh 260 what works for you>

mtbr member
    Stans ZTR Flows with X9 hubs. Strong, and light. I weigh 240.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt71 View Post
    Looking for reccomendations about wheels, ride a 29er and weigh 260 what works for you>
    No mention of budget, but here goes

Hubs:
    Chris King, Hadley, Hope are the most recommended for big riders ($$$$-$$). On the lower end the Shimano M629/665 hubs have a stronger freehub body than other Shimano hubs that clydes usually kill and are pretty cheap.

Spokes:
    DT Competitions or Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and brass nipples (although I've done fine with Alloy but I also weigh less than you)

Rims:
    Stans Flow or WTB Frequency i23 rims are good clyde XC rims. If you prefer heavier duty, check out Salsa Gordo or Sun MTX33 rims.

banned
    Aug 2010
    These have served me well:
    Shimano M756 W/ Mavic TN719 29er Wheelset from pricepoint.com

270 lbs and will probably get another pair for next build. I like em.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    on my last bike I never had a prob with my wheelset

older hope XC hubs 36h DT comp double butted spokes with brass nipples laced to salsa delgado cross rims

36h is going to be stronger then 32... or 28... etc spokes... the rims I had weren't considered exactly strong or anything but I never had an issue with hard XC riding (300# guy)

double butted spokes are going to be stronger/last longer as they have some elasticity to them

what i've got on my bike now are bontrager duster rims with deore hubs (factory wheelset)... i've read real good things about these rims as they are fairly wide (28mm) but still pretty light and tubeless ready

as of tommarow I'll be running the bonty duster out back and up front i'll be rolling an 80mm wide big fat sheba with a 26x4.7" tire ;-) (think surly pugsley type stuff) which i'm sure will hold up no prob (and it should with a 1300g rim)

on my other bike I'm running what my LBS sold to me for $85... shimano FH-M629 hubs (32 engagement points and torque rated for a 36t cassette) laced to WTB fx28 which are FR/AM rims... so if/when that deore hub dies I'm sure I'll spend some time on these cheapo hubs/rims
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just ordered a Stans setup with Flow rim and ZTR Disk Hub.

Highly recommended by BikerBob. Should have them next week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow...thank you so much. I am new to mountain biking and will have to track these recommendations down on the web as I am not familiar with items. It is really nice to have some place to turn for guidance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Dont forget Mavic 729 rims. Excellent strong and WIDE.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    Dont forget Mavic 729 rims. Excellent strong and WIDE.
    But not in 29"/700c

Phatt Tire Luva'
    I'll go with the Flows mounted on Chris King hubs. What ever you build - go with at least 32 holes. If you opt for CK, I'd strongly suggest the steel free hub carrier over the alloy. I've even been told by local shops - that while the alloy are for sure lighter, the Steel bodies roll smoother out of the box.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Around 260-270 here. Been on DT-Swiss 240s hubs with 32h Flows for going on 2 years. Broke an aluminum Pro-Lock nipple a few months back, but other than that they have been bomber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm running Roval Control XC Race, and even though this is a very light wheelset, it is holding up fine to my substantial mass at 237. I am dropping weight, and will be 220 before summer. I do not ride too aggresive at my age, but do not baby them. Before that, I have Mavic 717 with XT hubs, and they too held up great when I was heavier than I am now...

mtbr member
    Mikesee (LaceMine29.com) built Salsa Gordo's on DT350's, DT DB spokes, ProLock nipples, tubes w/Stan's. Not a weight weeny setup but strong and cushy. I'm 260 on a hardtail and have hit every rock and root in sight for almost a year w/ 2000 miles and these things are still dead nuts true.
    "That's the smell of fitness."
    Foster Farms MTB Chickens

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeRoose View Post
    Mikesee (LaceMine29.com) built Salsa Gordo's on DT350's, DT DB spokes, ProLock nipples, tubes w/Stan's. Not a weight weeny setup but strong and cushy. I'm 260 on a hardtail and have hit every rock and root in sight for almost a year w/ 2000 miles and these things are still dead nuts true.

Yo beat me to the Gordos. I built a set of 36 spoke Gordos on XT hubs. LOVE the rims, not the hubs. I then built up a set of Salsa Semis with 32 spokes (14 ga, brass nipples) and no problems. I then built up another set of Gordos on Hadleys. Love em.
    The DT Swiss 350 seems to be a good deal. It's a chinese made 240.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Phil Wood MTB Disc or White Industries M16 Hubs

Never hear much about em ? Also Sun Inferno 27 rims ? What little I've managed to gather about the Phil Wood and White Industries hubs is that they are strong dependable hubs.I haven't heard anything about the Inferno 27's. Anybody know ? Thanx.

turtles make me hot
    I use the Inferno 27's. Whenever I build a bike for a friend or relative that doesn't want to spend 100 dollars per rim, I use them. I like them. They true up nice, make a nice profile on a 2.25 tire...
    I'm about to build up two more sets. Inferno 27s on Shimano M529 hubs is an awesome bang for the buck wheelset.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    260 on Bontrager Rhythm Pro's. They take roots, rocks, and drops no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This place is like high school, except the morons here don't get automatically put in stupid kid classes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just got some I9 enduros with stans zrt flow rims by far no wheels i have ever ridden come close. feels like my bike gained some wings