mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Looking for a good, very fat 26er tire. Any info?

I am building up a rigid 26er and want to use a Surly 1x1 rigid fork since it supposedly can accomodate a tire as large as a 2.7. Will be riding on pavement and not too technical trails as well. Can anyone recommend a good fat tire for me? Thanks in advance. I am using Sun rhinolite wheels.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+60D+Tire.aspx

i love these tires. i tried wtb graffiti uk's and dmr moto's. dude, the holy rollers are hands down the best. even alright on dry trails. check my review and others at: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...31_151crx.aspx

my review was at the top as of this post. is ur reken the SS? i own three, though ones a 14", so not for me. but i'm gonna swap out my F120 for a voodoo zombie fork when they are available.

but yeah. holy rollers rock.
    Last edited by ilmfat; 05-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. 2.4 in the front, 2.2 in the rear. (Sette Reken frame) ...Sound good? I don't know if the 2.4 will fit in the rear. How close to accurate is the sizing?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i run a 2.4 in the rear. i haven't measured the casing. but they are big. my rims a little skinny, so rhinos might make a diference, but i do have a little room. the only reason it rubs is cause my wheels are jacked. im gonna mount them on wtb FR's, which are 28mm. hopefully(waiting on the bike shop) tomorrow/today (friday). i'll let ya know.

just looked up the rhinos. 27.5 mm. so if the FR's work, the rhinos will too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+60D+Tire.aspx

i love these tires. i tried wtb graffiti uk's and dmr moto's. dude, the holy rollers are hands down the best. even alright on dry trails. check my review and others at: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...31_151crx.aspx

my review was at the top as of this post. is ur reken the SS? i own three, though ones a 14", so not for me. but i'm gonna swap out my F120 for a voodoo zombie fork when they are available.

but yeah. holy rollers rock.
    I'm building the Reken up geared. Is the setup with the 2.2 in the rear the right choice? I'd rather use a 2.4 if I could.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i run a 2.4 in the rear. i haven't measured the casing. but they are big. my rims a little skinny, so rhinos might make a diference, but i do have a little room. the only reason it rubs is cause my wheels are jacked. im gonna mount them on wtb FR's, which are 28mm. hopefully(waiting on the bike shop) tomorrow/today (friday). i'll let ya know.

just looked up the rhinos. 27.5 mm. so if the FR's work, the rhinos will too.
    Cool. I know the Voodoo Zombie is not currently available. If I see one I'll send you a PM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    soon as i get them mounted, i'll post. hopefully it'll all be in time to get the rollers in a box and on the truck over the weekend. god love jenson for bein on the west coast. gives me 3 hours lead time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are the holy rollers hard to get a hold of?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    looks like jenson has them in stock, and their stock status is actually the best updated i've run into. i didn't have to wait for mine.

and they actually mount fairly easily too.

i'm just in love with them. if u don't like them, i'll trade you for my wtb's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    looks like jenson has them in stock, and their stock status is actually the best updated i've run into. i didn't have to wait for mine.

and they actually mount fairly easily too.

i'm just in love with them. if u don't like them, i'll trade you for my wtb's.
    I just realized. are you putting a voodoo zombie on a Reken frame? I have a Zion 26er fork (a to c is 457mm). I thought it would be too tall for that frame. Do you think it would work? The Surly 1x1 ia 410mm a to c. Which one is better for that frame (18 in) you think?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i'm running the F120 on my SS and a 2004 vanilla 125 on my geared reken. the vanilla is shorter, so i thought i'd like the F120 more. nope. i don't quite remember the a2c, and i cant find my tape measure, but the f120 is 470 ish and the vanilla is 460ish. my buddy had a 80mm scareb and it felt way low. his was the first reken i rode, and i loved the fit, but it felt to low. for me at least. 410mm is probably even shorter than the scareb. thats why i like the zombie. i want 26" canti bosses with a 460ish a2c. i'm thinkin the surly instigator, but wondering if 447 is too short.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I read about folks using the Cane Creek s3 +5 headset with a Chris King baseplate (+5) or the ventana tall crown race to get another 10 or 12mm. Have you heard about it?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Have you checked out the forks over at ridesoul.com (the Hooligan, dillinger, and urban I think) (soul cycles)?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hope to talk to you later. (bedtime ) Take care. ---zarr Let me know what happens tomorrow.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Former Bike Wrench

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i was way off. F120= 512mm. Vanilla125=507mm. so, now i don't know. i'm gonna have to go with a disc 29er fork. thanx for the tip on the soul. looks to be the tallest rigid by far, that i could find at least.
    Last edited by ilmfat; 05-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.