mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Looking at getting a bike

I have been loosing weight since Jan. 8, 2013. I started at 356 and I am down to 266 by doing Insanity and a few other home workouts. I am the area manager on a wildlife management area and we have miles of gravel/dirt two track roads that can be ridden. I am 6'3" and I am looking at getting back into bikes (I used to race BMX as a kid). I need some suggestions for a reasonably priced bike. I haven't been to the "local" shop yet since it is nearly 60 miles to the closest bike shop. I was wanting some ideas so I knew which shops to look at in the Knoxville, TN area. I will be riding mainly on our dirt roads here on the WMA which range from gently rolling to STEEP. I will need plenty of climbing power so components will be tested.

Thanks
    Dustin

mtbr member
    Check out your local craigslist for solid used bikes. Stick with the brands that are sold in bike shops, stay away frame any of the junk that is sold in department stores. Research the components and try and get at least a mid-level drive train. There are lots of reviews here that you can use as a reference.

Unfortunately, times are such that the new bikes only have decent components at the higher price ranges, so you'll end up spending more in the long run upgrading the cheap components that came on a mid level bike with a good frame....... ie, wheels, drive train and brakes....

A lot depends on your budget...

My 2 cents............
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Looking at getting a bike

Grats on the weight loss, that aint an easy feat. You may want to consider barbell training to build strength to further your recomp.

Anyway stating your budget would narrow things a bit.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Tapatalk 2

Steve
    Jun 2013
    Last two posts were dead on. Another piece of advice that I followed as a noob here was to spend the most you can afford. Take your time, research and most importantly get on one if you can.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.