mtbr member
    Jul 2007

looking for a full suspension

OK i have done a fare amount of looking around. but i want some other opinions. i am 6'7", And about 240 lbs with gear on. i ride a hardtail right now (its junk) and want to get into a full suspension. i basically just need an entry level. I was looking at the new 08 Kona FOUR. but in my research i found that the older model that it is replacing (the KIKAPU). had had some problums with the frame cracking or breaking with heavy riders, (210 an up). So what other options do i have in my budget range. The FOUR is $1200, so i am looking to spend somwhere around that. Mebey up to $1500. ALSO, it has to be a big frame. The FOUR comes in a 22in. Most companies dont make bikes that big. Some only go to 20.5 inches. SUCKS BEING SO DAMN TALL!!!!

Former Bike Wrench
    If the Kikapu/Four is used as a XC bike, then its probably OK. Being an ex-mechanic at a Kona shop, my experience was that many riders tended to treat the Kikapu like it was a Stinky. It simply wasn't built for jumping or hucking, so yes...a few were seen broken (mostly swingarms) by me.

You might want to consider looking at some 2007 models as you may get a higher priced and better spec'd bike for your $1200. Here are a couple suggestions:
    -2007 Kona Dawg...burlier than the Kikapu, but still a great riding bike...plus an extra 1" travel.
    -2005-2007 Jamis XLT line...a lot of these are still floating around the internet for big discounts. They come in a 21" but only .45" shorter top tube than the 22" Konas. Nice durable and burly design (I ride a 2005 myself and I'm 230lbs with gear).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK, So how much does the hight of the seat tube really matter. Because of all the bikes that i have looked at, from 20.5" to 22", all have almost the exact same length top tube. so could i not just get a longer seat post and call i good???

Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench

Top Tube more important

Quote Originally Posted by bdierks
    OK, So how much does the hight of the seat tube really matter. Because of all the bikes that i have looked at, from 20.5" to 22", all have almost the exact same length top tube. so could i not just get a longer seat post and call i good???

Thanks.
    Almost any experienced bike rider will tell you that its the top tube measurement, not the seat tube measurement that is the most important. To clarify even more it is the "effective" top tube measurement (handlebars to seatpost measured parallel to the ground) since various degrees of a sloped top tube will alter the "actual" measurement. You still need a frame that will fit you, but seatposts are available in 400mm or greater. At the same time, you want to make sure your handlebars are at a comfortable height as well...just raising the seat may or may not be the fix. The best option is to actually test ride a few bikes as see how they fit you.

I'll be honest with you, at your height you are a perfect candidate for a 29er. But unless you go with a hardtail or a used bike, I don't know of anything in the $1200 price range for you. I know you can get a 2008 Gary Fisher Caliber 29 for around $1900

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well i agree, the best way is to test ride it. But the problem is that around here at my LBS's, The biggest bike i have been able to test ride is a 20.5" GT. Nobody seems to carry anything bigger in the full suspension's. Must be hard to get rid of in that size, so they just don't stock them i guess.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

I second the Jamis vote.

I suppose that I am borderline clyde at 6'1" and 210lbs. I ride an XLT and I LOVE IT. As far as dollars spent/bike value, you can't beat Jamis. I did my homework when I went from my hardtail to full suspension, and honestly, for the components, efficient suspension design and material quality, you can't beat a Jamis.

As far as price goes, I recently saw Jensen had them for $1300, but I just checked and they only have them in midget. Look around though (maybe at Jensen if you live in CA). They also turn up on ebay pretty often. I bought mine (frame) on ebay. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ya looked at Jamis bikes. they actually have the shortest effective top tube of all the bikes i have looked into. (Kona, gary fisher, Giant, Gt, Cannondale, and trek.

The Cannondale Prophet has the longest top tube and then the Trek Fuel EX. Whats your opinion's about these bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The GF Supercaliber 29 has a really long top tube. Specialized also has XXL for 2008 that are really big, but you will not get in a FS model for under $2400. I am 6' 8" and currently debating between an XL GF HiFi 29er and an XXL Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

mbtr member
    prophet doesn't have a longer head tube on the larger bikes.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    I don't know about the toptube length of the prophet, but it is a solid bike. Were I you, I would get the prophet (if you have got the dough). They have cool features and I have a buddy that will be buried with his. 140 front and rear is pretty sweet.

As far as the trek goes, they are good bikes, just not my personal favorite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

norco six

If you have the chance look for a Norco Six III

I am 6'8", 235lbs. I bought one this summer and it rocks. I looked at the Prophet. I test rode and XL Enduro and then had the opportunity to borrow a XL Norco Six for a day.

Some will say the specs on this bike are to small for someone 6'8" I would say you really need to look at one and test ride it if possible. Its overbuilt for what I am doing with it but it pedals really well.

I kept my previous front wheel, and my disc brakes and had a new hand built, bolt on rear DH wheel built and the price was still under $1600. So far I love it. Its a tank at almost 39 lbs, but I knew what I was getting into and for once in my life I have not had the slightest buyers remorse.

bigE

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ok so i checked out this, Norco six 3. the horizontal top tube is only 24.2 on there biggest size. The trek's top tube is 25.3 and the cannondale's 25.6. Thats a big differance. mabey your arms are shorter though, and it just fits you better. But my arms are really long..

So what's with the new treks, they are susposed to be redesigned for 08. anybody heard if they are better than the previous model. I read an artical in a mountain bike mag. and they said the 07's were really bad. I am pretty sure i want the cannondale because it just seems beefier. but i am keeping my options open.