mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Looking for a fork

So I had to take a hiatus from riding for a while but I need to get back at it and back into shape.

So I'm back to my predicament....I NEED a new fork. I have a Giant Trance X4 XL. I'm 6'8" and about 240lbs. I am in the market for a new fork, I need lockout and a thick axle. I'm okay with spending about $400-$500. I have been researching for a while but honestly there are so many variations and what not that I just can't figure out what I should get. Thoughts....opinions...suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    What year is the Trance?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry, that would help. 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nothing? No suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Manitou has some nice choices in the price range. Tower Pro is a great fork. For a mid range fork, the Manitou damper is just as good or better than anything out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My 2014 Trance 3 came with the rockshox Sektor fork. It is air adjustable, has rebound adjust and lockout but that is it. I am at 250# and have been working it pretty hard and it is holding up. I don't have anything to compare it to as far as how good or bad it is, but I am satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Manitou tower is the go-to fork for the bigger folks. Google Clyde fork for more answers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Manitou has some nice choices in the price range. Tower Pro is a great fork. For a mid range fork, the Manitou damper is just as good or better than anything out there.
    I believe the Trance is a 26'er, if I'm not mistaken. So that would mean Minute, not Tower. I WOULD second that recommendation, in the form of the Minute Expert 130mm, if I could find one with a through axle. All of the ones out there are 9mm QR.

Looks like your best combination of price, through axle, straight 1-1/8 steerer, and 120mm+ of travel is the Rockshox Sektor RL. Comes stock with 150mm of travel, but you can reduce that with spacers. ChainReaction and other places have them for about $450.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a 26'er unfortunately. And mine came with a basic fork with no lockout and a weak spring...

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've been looking at the Sektor. Will the 15mm maxle still being a QR be rigid enough? Right now I get a bit of run when I pump hard.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was looking at this fork the Manitou and from my reading if you are heavy like 280 you need stiffer springs and they are harder to come by. What is the best option for a heavy rider if you do not want to fool with fork springs or are you better of changing springs no matter what you buy?

On the Manitou how long is the stock steering stem and is the newer setups with the bigger bottom bearing on the stem better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Everything I have read and been told. For us heavier riders it is very difficult to get e spring that will work well and air is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am 260+ and have been using a Fox Talas 36 (160mm) fork since 2007. You could probably find a more recent model year of this fork for your price range (used). The 20mm front through axle really stiffens up the trackin and it has on the fly travel adjustment. It will require a front hub conversion to 20mm or a wheel switch but it's worth it. My 2 cents