mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hope Looking to buy Schwinn Rocket Pro, need help

Hi guys I can get pretty good deal for a 2006 Schwinn rocket pro full suspention bike, but my problem is that I'm 6.5 feet 280 pounds guy. Can you help me choose if this model would stand my dimensions. Thanks!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by basicwrc78
    Hi guys I can get pretty good deal for a 2006 Schwinn rocket pro full suspention bike, but my problem is that I'm 6.5 feet 280 pounds guy. Can you help me choose if this model would stand my dimensions. Thanks!
    It's this one, right?

I'll be honest, I don't have any experience with this model, or even Schwinn bikes in general. Although the lack of Schwinn's presence in the MTB market speaks volumes. I haven't really read anything about Schwinn MTBs on these forums either. Have you tried a search for this bike? That may give you something.

That said, I'll give you my opinions. With my (very) limited experience, I wouldn't recommend this bike for a guy your size (FWIW, I'm 5' 11", 260lbs...and I wouldn't buy this bike myself). A few reasons:

• Air shock - and a generic one at that. Air shocks can be a problem for clydes due to the fact that we sometimes approach (or exceed) the air pressure limits of the shock just to create adequate sag. At best, this will probably result in decrease performance of the shock/suspension. At worst, there will be reliability problems and failure. There are many variables that contribute here, including: the frames suspension leverage ratio, the shocks max psi, etc., etc. Plus the RST only has a rebound adjust. It's likely that you'd need additional adjustments (compression, etc.) to tweak it for your weight. If this bike had a higher volume air shock (Fox DHX Air, etc) then it may be a different story.
    • The fork is has 30mm stanchions at 130mm. I'd be very concerned about excessive flex. Just for reference, I have a Rockshox Reba SL. It has thicker (32mm) stanchions and only 100mm travel. And I get severe lateral flex even when I just stand-up to pedal up hills. At that's even on smooth trails, or even the road. My guess is that at 280lbs that fork is going to feel like a wet noodle underneath the front end.
    • The geometry and other specs of the bike may/may not work for a guy your size. The handlebars are only 24.5 inches wide. If you have wide shoulders then you may feel cramped on these bars. I have 25.5" bars currently and I feel cramped.
    • The BB height is under 13 inches. If you're planning on riding technical trails (lots of rocks and roots) then you'll probably be hitting pedals on the rocks. The low BB height combined with a fairly long travel suspension (5.5") will result in the bike coming quite close to the ground as the suspension compresses. If you ride smooth trails it may be less of an issue. But if you are only planning to ride smooth trails then you probably wouldn't need a full-suspension bike, would ya'?

Well, I hope that helped a little. Maybe someone else will chime in who has direct experience with this particular bike. Feel free to post more questions if you got them.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am really. really thankfull for these informations. I've decided ( with my budget ) to go with some hardtail. I visit doday my LBS and after cosideration of all factors I order 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc . I think I will work for me much more better than Schwinn rocket pro. Anyway thanks again Patrick for your help

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by basicwrc78
    I am really. really thankfull for these informations. I've decided ( with my budget ) to go with some hardtail. I visit doday my LBS and after cosideration of all factors I order 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc . I think I will work for me much more better than Schwinn rocket pro. Anyway thanks again Patrick for your help
    Good choice on the Rockhopper. Decent components, solid frame, reputable company. You certainly get more bang for your buck with a hardtail. Have fun with it.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!