mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Looking to buy a FS Bike ~$2k

Hi guys looking to buy a new bike FS I'm a clyde 220 lbs. and ride mostly singletrack trail in central NC. I would like to buy locally so I have the support of tune-ups, etc. I'm thinking the sale on Treks looks good right now, but are Specialized in that price range significantly better ? All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by wolfram; 06-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Anything can be a sport as long as there is a loser.

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just got a Trek Fuel EX7. I love it!!! Ride is great. Perfect for me because I am just getting back into riding.

I am 6'6" 250#.

Go SOLAR...
    I'm 6'2" 220....and ride a stumpy comp. I rode the trek and the spesh just felt more comfortable. You really can't go wrong with either bike. If it comes down to both feeling great....go for the one with the best price.

Freelance Whatever

Have the same question..

I am also looking at getting into a F/S and have the opportunity to "steal" a 2008.5 Trance XO that appears to have been a demo. I know I've seen that type mentioned in this forum a couple of times as a great ride for clydes. I'm 5'10" and about 250# w/gear. Just wondering if this would be a good starting point for a F/S n00b. Been riding rigid SS for the last few years and hardtails before that, but I would like to smooth out the ride. Spec'd out sweet and can't beat the price ($2200). Just wondered if anyone has some time in the saddle?

mtbr member
    I tested out an Fuel EX8, and the Stumpjumper that I ended up buying. The Stumpy felt a little better to me, and I got it for a better price. If that's what you've narrowed it down to you can't really go wrong. Buy what feels better to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Both are great bikes.

I rode a ton of demos and comparison shopped even more.

Loves my EX8

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

thanks for the replys guys

Had a chance to ride an EX 8 (19") and I have to say I was not that impressed the geometry was ok but the seat was uncomfy and the suspension didnt seem that soft at all. But that may be due to poor choice of line too . I had the opportunity to ride a Fisher Hifi 29er pro at a demo day a few weeks back and fell in love with it. It was soooo plush and very forgiving. I'd love to get a FS 29er but its out of my budget. Anyways any Spec. riders out there have any thoughts ?
    PS. Any ideas when the 2010 bike models ship, if its soon I can see holding off to get a great deal on closeout.
    Thanks again for the input
    Anything can be a sport as long as there is a loser.

Go SOLAR...
    I would imagine the EX8 you rode was not setup properly for you. You can always change the seat, and usually it takes a bit for your butt to get used to a new one anyway. The trek is a better design IMO than the Fisher. The fisher might have been setup wrong also, and it's not really fair to compare a 26" to a 29"....different animals.

You mentioned the stumpy comp earlier....have you ridden it yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If I could get a "steal" on a Trance XO that fit me well, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

I agree with Larlev's comments about changing the seat, the trek may not have been set up right, and not comparing 26 to 29 if you know you're going to get a 26.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfram
    Had a chance to ride an EX 8 (19") and I have to say I was not that impressed the geometry was ok but the seat was uncomfy and the suspension didnt seem that soft at all. But that may be due to poor choice of line too . I had the opportunity to ride a Fisher Hifi 29er pro at a demo day a few weeks back and fell in love with it. It was soooo plush and very forgiving. I'd love to get a FS 29er but its out of my budget. Anyways any Spec. riders out there have any thoughts ?
    PS. Any ideas when the 2010 bike models ship, if its soon I can see holding off to get a great deal on closeout.
    Thanks again for the input
    as "they" say, one mans trash, is anothers treasure, LOL

My opinion was pretty much the reverse.

I so WANTED to like the HiFi 29er and at a demo last year rode both it and theEX8 back to back, over and over again on the trails at Pocohantas State Park.

I pretty much decided that the EX8 with it's shaper handling, better acelleration and more active rear end was for me, where-as the HiFi 29er felt, rode and handled like a full size mid '70s Buick by comparision.

btw, I know that Trek has dropped the price anywhere from $200-$400 depending on model... maybe Fisher has a simlar recession fighting deal going on.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    talked with some friends (club member and racing buddies) who talked bout some friends who had issues with the hi-fi pivots... lots of noise and play in em... but liked it outside of those issues.

I hear nothing but great about the trance... my LBS has one as a loaner and everyone who's used it talks about how great of a bike it is
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie