mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Looking to buy--but what?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a new mountain bike this spring. I've had a Schwinn Mesa GSX since 1999 and has held up really well, but I am now too tall for the frame size. So last year I bought a Giant Yukon bike new, thinking it would work out well. However, it hasn't--everything is breaking. It has had derailleur problems, crank problems, and its constantly breaking spokes. The seat quick release bent and broke. The bike is heavier than the Schwinn. The one thing I like about it is the disc brakes, but even these became loose on the back. The dealer hasn't been too helpful, but part of the problem is the place I bought it from is 1hr+ away. So I want a new, better bike.

What is the best mountain bike that will hold up to a big guy for around $2k? I really would like a Cannondale, but I'm completely unfamiliar w/ the lineup. Are there better deals for other brands? I think for this price I should be able to get a bike that will last a long time...

BTW, I do a lot of road riding (500 mi last year) and some trail riding but I don't want a hybrid or road bike. Prefer full suspension, must have disc brakes, strong rims, and fairly lightweight.

Please give me your suggestions...

turtles make me hot
    Maybe check out the Cannondale Caffiene 29er... Not sure what it costs.

It's a hardtail.
    I like turtles

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    what do you have thats sold local?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I ended up ordering a Cannondale Rize 3 (Lefty) from a a dealer yesterday, ran me $3k. I did a lot of research between posts, and think I made the right decision. It should be in a week from now. The dealer is 30 minutes away in a city I go to frequently, so service shouldn't be so much of a problem.

It want to change out the Smarty pedals to a standard shoe pedal for now...any suggestions? I don't care about weight I just want a quality pedal that's not too $$.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Are you looking for a good set of flats or something that has some grip on it for riding tougher stuff?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A want a little bit of grip.

When the bike comes in (before this weekend would be nice) I'll go to the LBS and see what they have, any suggestions?
    2009 Cannondale Rize 3 Lefty
    Specialized magnesium flatties
    SRAM X-0 derailleur
    Oury grips
    180mm Juicy 7

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I rode with toe cages until I got my clips and they were OK but cause the pedal to flip and can be hard to get into sometimes. I have heard good things about bear claw pedals, I know a guy who rides them and says that they give him good traction