Not a lurker

Looking at bikes

Well, I'm going to be serving a 2 year mission for my church and need to have a bike while I'm out. I would like to try and keep the price around or under $400. A couple recommendations I've been given are the Specialized Rockhopper (over budget) and Cannondale F8 (over budget) and F9. It doesn't have to be bullet-proof just tough enough to last at least 2 years with minimal repairs.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    At that price point, I'd probably look at Giant or Trek. You get a lot of additional performance if you go up closer to $600. This is all assuming you're buying new. Used is worth considering.

Not sure where your mission will take you, but if there aren't shops there you may want to bring along a good set of tools...

Not a lurker
    The mission is taking me to Oklahoma City and the surrounding area. I appreciate the advice on Giant and Trek (both of which crossed my mind) but it turns out that those 3 bikes are pretty much the only choices I've got. I've looked at the F9 quite a bit and know that I can get a package deal (helmet, light, etc.) on it for $410 tax included. The bike will be mainly commuting and exercise. Also, I have to order it from a shop in OKC before I go so it will be ready when I get out there.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    i'd visit your LBS to detemine which make/model fits/rides the best. They buy it there if the price is right. If price is an issue, I'd hunt up the exact same model on eBay or Craigslist.

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    i just bought a specialized hardrock sport disc for $499. you might want to look into the hardrock lineup.

one of my lbs's has the hardrock on closeout for $350, while the other has the hardrock disc for $450.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

Not a lurker
    I appreciate all the input. The only problem with buying a bike locally is that I'd have to ship it from south-east Idaho to Oklahoma City. I think I've decided to order the F9 through a shop in OKC where I can get a special deal on it.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you looking for a trail bike, or something to ride around town?

Not a lurker
    It'll mostly be to ride around town. I went to a shop today and asked some questions and was recommended a Trek 3900. Does anybody know how this would hold up to a clyde? If it lasts through my mission then I might do a few trails on it but it would all be XC type riding.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    I'm Mormon. =)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    don't know what country you'll be in... but having lived in a 3rd world country... go with what is inexpensive and common and lasts... Rigid fork and V brakes with 26" wheels and likely gripshift with shimano deraillers would be the way to go IMHO... finding sram bits may be problematic so i'd stay away from them (outside of the shifters which are so simple i'm using a set on my commuter that are over 10 years old) ...

mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Not a lurker
    I'll be in Oklahoma so finding parts won't be a big deal. I would like it to last the whole 2 years. Preferably 3 so that I have time to save and buy a new one when I get back. So, thoughts on the 3900? Do you guys think it would be a good bike?
    ^Rides a Specialized
    I'm Mormon. =)

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    i am 6'1" and weigh 300lbs. other riders, and 3 different lbs's recommended to me the trek 3700 and 3900. also, the Specialized Hardrock. i was told by several that all 3 of these bikes had a good, strong frame and would handle my weight.

i settled on the hardrock sport disc. it felt better - more comfortable to me.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

Not a lurker
    Awesome. Thanks for the input.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    I'm Mormon. =)