Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Look at that noggin....MAN that thing's HUGE!

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Sasquatchcycles 
#1 ·
I have a very large cranium (to hold in all my knowledge and crazies), so large that I wear size 8 pro fit baseball caps. Are there manufacturers catering to my needs in the helmet department? something with a visor and lots of vents while I sweat off the pounds?

what is my helmet size, if there is a standard in the industry?

Thanks dudes.

Jim:thumbsup:

#3 · (Edited)
Size 8, I wishl!! (does that mean I have more knowlege??) ......my X country helmet is a Bell and my downhill helmet is a Mace. Both fit fine and my head is at least 65-66 cm.

Oh yeah, I dont think that there is much standard in the industry. I had to try on quite a few helmets to find one that fits. Even ones of the same brand and size fit differently so try on alot before buying.

#4 ·
Odd-shaped head

I have a strange shaped head. I have learned one thing from this: Never, never, NEVER buy a helmet without trying it on first! And if the same helmet you've used for years suddenly gets a "new, updated design," the odds are that it won't fit you any more, so do not buy the "new, updated design" without trying it on first.

The other lesson I've learned is this: Never, never, NEVER wear a helmet that does not properly fit your head. Even if it means giving a brand new $125 helmet away to charity so you can buy a new helmet that fits. An ill-fitting helmet is like wearing no helmet at all.

If you believe nothing else, believe these two things.

#5 ·
Words to live by...

Blister Butt said:
Never, never, NEVER buy a helmet without trying it on first!
...literally.

My head isn't huge (only 7 5/8) but I have a tall crown (of course!). Bell's sizing chart is good for their stuff, but no one else. There is no standardization really. Giro large barely fit me, but Bell large fits with some room for adjustment; and those two companies are under the same stinkin' umbrella.

Brock...

#8 ·
Yup, another big ol' head here. I've had sucess with Bell and Specialized. You think buying a x-large helmet is hard, try looking for a x-large hockey helmet. They just dont make them. Hurts my head everytime squeezing into a size large.:madman:

#11 ·
I recently picked up a Vigor Duo on ebay and thing doesn't fit very well. It's technically wide enough but I don't feel like its actually protecting anything as it sits very high on my head. I feel like one of those mushrooms from mario bros. when I put it on.

I'll have to try one of the Bell's

#12 · (Edited)
I'm an 8 and wear a Bell Yukon, which is specifically aimed at bigger heads.....not that ye could miss a melon the like of mine. ;-)
Pretty generic helmet, but comfy and I do like the wheel adjuster. For the record it does have visor und vents.

<<EDIT>> I R N idjit, it's a Triton.
<</EDIT>>

#13 ·
Blister Butt said:
Never, never, NEVER buy a helmet without trying it on first!
I third this (or something)
I just got myself a new helmet as my Bell Delirium is getting a bit worn. I tried on about a dozen different models and there were two that were good enough to try on a second time. This time a Giro felt better than the Bell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.