mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Which Lenght Cranks 175 or 180mm???

I'm going to be building a new bike and always wondered if I should be riding a 180mm crank instead of a 175. I have a 37.5" inseam and I am 6'4". Any comments would be great, also what are the pro's and cons of the 180's . Thanks...

mtbr member

Lot's and Lot's of info

Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    I'm going to be building a new bike and always wondered if I should be riding a 180mm crank instead of a 175. I have a 37.5" inseam and I am 6'4". Any comments would be great, also what are the pro's and cons of the 180's . Thanks...
    On this subject. Bottom line more leverage with the longer crank. I am 6'2" and run 180's

NMBP
    With your inseam you should love 180's. My inseam is 36" and I noticed a huge difference in the amount of torque put to the tire. I have more pedal strikes, but my bike also has a shorter BB than my previous bike had. Most crank formulas would say you should run as long as 190's.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I have more pedal strikes
    At 37.5" inseam and I am 6'4" the 180 mm cranks should be good, if your bike has good ground clearance. My HT bike has a pretty low BB ... fortunately, 175 mm is enough for my height.

Long cranks give more torque but it is easier to spin shorter ones.

Making fat cool since '71
    I have a 34" inseam and run 180s. You might even consider 190s. Just a thought.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cool, Thanks for all of your input. It sounds like I will be looking for some 180's. Now what brand is good for a 180, I am looking a Middleburn who else?

local trails rider
    Shimano cranks work. LX is a great value and Saint is about the toughest there is. I hear Middleburn is great but not exactly cheap.

Making fat cool since '71
    I have RaceFace. I would love some White Industries or Zinn, but oh, the price! Middleburn are OK. I used to have some on a bike that was stolen some time ago and I miss the seat and the handlebar more than the cranks quite frankly, but I'm known to be picky and grumpy. Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    my current setup has 175s. recently test rode 180s and could feel the difference. definitely 180s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Chameleon on 180 Profile cranks set up as a SS urban bike and a set of 180 XTs on a El Chamuco for an all around bike. I have a 34 inch inseam and like the extra length. JJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When you guys are saying your inseam, is this your typical pant size inseam or is this an actual measurement?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Your True Inseam is the distance between the floor and your pubic bone. Your pants inseam is (hopefully) several inches shorter than your True Inseam.