mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Is the lefty, Clyde worthy?

I remember seeing a similar post, but for the life of me cannot find it now. Sorry.

I am considering a new 2013 Scalpel. I am 6'4.5", 245 lbs and losing. Ride a lot of flowing singletrack and occasional rooty and rocky trails. Have ridden a bottom level hardtail since February. Love the sport, love the climbing, and starting to love the speed of the downhills. Sort of a masher, but can spin if needed.

Will the lefty support my needs or should I be looking at something else? Love the Hardtail, but have an older fellow that wants to buy it, as I am ready to upgrade. I am 47 in a couple days, love the hardtail.

$2000 budget. Scalpel, or hardtail? Other suggestions if you think that would be best. Thanks for your time.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Is the lefty, Clyde worthy?

It's stiffer than the 32 thru axles but not as stiff as a Fox 34 IMO. I have a last gen carbon XLR on my 429 and it works well for XC/trail. The newer leftys are stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    I went through this same question before I bought my 2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3. Here is the post i found: Is the Lefty Clyde friendly?

I am 6'3" 250-ish. I have put 1,000+ miles on mine in the last 5 months. 300 of those were with me fully loaded and the bike rigged out with 30+lbs of bike packing gear - including having 15+lbs hanging on the handlebars. Not one issue so far, great performance.

I have noticed that it corners like no bike I have every ridden. I suspect that is related to the lefty, but don't know for sure.

I don't have a long track record with it yet, but so far it is stellar!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    I went through this same question before I bought my 2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3. Here is the post i found: Is the Lefty Clyde friendly?

I am 6'3" 250-ish. I have put 1,000+ miles on mine in the last 5 months. 300 of those were with me fully loaded and the bike rigged out with 30+lbs of bike packing gear - including having 15+lbs hanging on the handlebars. Not one issue so far, great performance.

I have noticed that it corners like no bike I have every ridden. I suspect that is related to the lefty, but don't know for sure.

I don't have a long track record with it yet, but so far it is stellar!
    YES, more so than most shocks, see my posts:

Is the Lefty Clyde friendly?
    Last edited by irideiam; 12-29-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    6'4", 250lbs and it will be more than worthy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    6'3" 215 not loaded down, I have rode mine on everything from flowing South Carolina Trails to rugged Wyoming, Colorado, Utah AM type trails and it has never let me down in the last three years of owning it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Update.......

I did get the scalpel. Loving the lefty. Not only is it cool looking, but it is stiff, light, and does everything I need it to do.

I also believe I have not lost any efficiency from going from a hardtail to FS. Climbs like a goat. Even with my big arse on it.