Super Clyde

Is the Lefty Clyde friendly?

I'm kind of in the market for a new 29er, and I drove by a LBS that sells Cannondale, so I stopped in to say hi. One of the bikes I looked at was the F29 2 with a Lefty front fork. The tech I talked to gave me the typical sales spiel about how stiff it was, and how much lighter it was, etc. When i asked him about holding the extra weight of a 347# man, he really couldn't give me a straight answer. I like the bike, I'm just now sure about the fork. I've found a 36h Lefty friendly hub so I could build up a set of stronger wheels.

Truth be told, I kinda have my mind made up on the bike I want, but I want to explore my options first.

mtbr member
    I'd ask cannondale (and the dealer should be able to find this out quickly) if there's a weight limit. If they'll warranty it for you, I'm sure it's fine.

I'd guess the biggest issue is going to be air pressure; can you get it high enough without having problems with the seals.

mtbr member
    i actually was about to post this same question... Does anyone here use one?

Super Clyde
    I sent an e-mail to Cannondale through their website this morning. I'm not expecting anything until Tuesday or Wednesday though. If I get a response I'll post it here.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I sent an e-mail to Cannondale through their website this morning. I'm not expecting anything until Tuesday or Wednesday though. If I get a response I'll post it here.
    I ride a lefty PBR 90mm (upgraded from the DLR) 29er hard and depending on time of year I am 6'2" 255 - 270lbs (ex college defensive tackle down from 314lbs), not 347lbs, but I ride super hard and like to catch air. When I say hard, I take it off 3' - 6' drops on a regular basis and ride trails with lots of quick up and down with roots everywhere. It's on a 2009 Cannondale 29er Caffeine frame (Alloy).

One thing to think about is if you haven't been riding on a regular basis you may be starting out on the road and easier trails, so you won't be as hard on the bike until your weight is down to a level where you feel like you can get more aggressive.

Regardless of my experience, I would call Cannondale and ask them about the bike as well as the lefty at your weight. I call them periodically and they answer the phone and answer most questions on the spot. Their number is 203-749-7000. I have owned Cannondales for a number of years and have always had good luck with their customer service, even recently after the change in ownership.

Send me a PM any time, glad to help a brother out....

Crank on bro.....
    Last edited by irideiam; 04-01-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    Klunk on............

Super Clyde

Is the Lefty Clyde friendly?

Thanks for the help! I got an e-mail back from Cannondale. Here's it is.

Brett, difficult to say. We have weight recommendations on our bikes and forks and we test to 300lbs. We won't say that you will have issues, particularly if the bike is used appropriately, but so much is going to depend on where and how you ride.
    CSG

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Thanks for the help! I got an e-mail back from Cannondale. Here's it is.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I'd read that as a look for something else response. If you like the F29 why not check out the Trail SL 2. It's a hardtail available as a 29er with a Recon Silver fork with a combination air and coil spring. It's pretty much the standard fork at that price point. Definitely not as cool as the Lefty but more appropriate for your size and you would save a boat load of cash.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    A s I said above, not sure about the new frames but the 2007-2009 aluminum 29er Caffeine frames are tough as nails. Find a little older one for less $$ with a lefty and ride the hell out of it....

Outside of Cannondales with Lefty's, which obviously I like, look at the Salsa, Niner and Surly hard tails with Fox forks......they are burly
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    I have a couple of buddies that are heavier, and they both ride leftie's..... They swear by them....

Certified Clyde
    I rode lefties for years when I was anywhere from 250-290. I never had a problem. I did get the spring upgrade as the versions I rode had different spring options, and the "black" stiffer spring helped keep it from bottoming out for me as much. I won't say heavier riders aren't hard on the seals, but that'll be true of any fork or shock. Rode it, felt safe, loved it.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    To the OP:

I don't own a Cannondale. I am interested in getting an FS 29er eventually though, and the new Trigger 29er has caught my eye. We have a local Cannondale dealer where I live. The GM at the store has told me that he rides a Scalpel FS 29er, with a Lefty fork. He's a bigger dude, too. I'm 6'1" and about 235 pounds dry. He's a little taller than me, and probably a little stouter, too. So, I'd guess him to be 250 - 260ish pounds. He has told me that he loves his bike and the Lefty fork, but under certain, aggressive riding conditions he can get the front wheel to flex enough to rub on the Lefty at times. He didn't really say whether he thinks that is a function of the Lefty itself or wheels that are too flexy, or a combo of both. Anyway, thought I'd pass along this particular info to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    To the OP:

I don't own a Cannondale. I am interested in getting an FS 29er eventually though, and the new Trigger 29er has caught my eye. We have a local Cannondale dealer where I live. The GM at the store has told me that he rides a Scalpel FS 29er, with a Lefty fork. He's a bigger dude, too. I'm 6'1" and about 235 pounds dry. He's a little taller than me, and probably a little stouter, too. So, I'd guess him to be 250 - 260ish pounds. He has told me that he loves his bike and the Lefty fork, but under certain, aggressive riding conditions he can get the front wheel to flex enough to rub on the Lefty at times. He didn't really say whether he thinks that is a function of the Lefty itself or wheels that are too flexy, or a combo of both. Anyway, thought I'd pass along this particular info to you.
    Lefty's have a good amount of tire clearance, even at 2.35, so my bet is the wheel is flexing...
    Klunk on............