Old Punk
    Sep 2010

Latest and greatest fat boy BB's?

I noticed my bb gained a creek, no surprise, I beat the $#!+ out of it last year. I'm 220 and ride hard until I crash, then try it faster. The bb is a stock Shimano BB-ES25 Octilink and another won't cut it. Should I go external, or is there any durable replacements that I could use with my stock set-up? Thanks.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was in the same boat last month with my BB-es-30 Octilink, After research here and speaking to a few LBS techs. External was the hands down favorite. Looking a little further at my current cranks / flex / bb options. I dedcided to step up to the Shimano SXL cranks with external bearings. They are everything I've read about ~ smooth running and flex free. If you go the SLX route look carefully as some are sold w/out BB. Picked mine up off of Amazon just north of $150 w/free shipping.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Whitfield96, did you get your bb tube faced flat? If not, does it work fine without facing? I'm pretty sure I'm going with external, just want to make sure I do it right.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I installed mine myself with my new park tools AK37 kit (bought after previous LBS disapointments).

No I didn't get them faced.

The bearing cups must screw in flat or they will bind the bearings.

Mine feel smooth and upon new install the single pedal gently falls with no chain.

Debating on weather or not to get them faced... My thoughts are ~ worst case is I kill the new BB bearings. Not the end of the world as an entirely new XT replacment BB is under $40.

If I had my LBS do the work I would ask to have them faced.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Maby check for gaps with some shimstock? If it's only a couple thousandths (<.005"), I won't worry about it. Thanks for the info. I'm almost thinking "King".
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

turtles make me hot
    I wore out a couple Shimano external bottom brackets. Got a King and no more trouble. Get the grease tool and grease it periodically.
    I like turtles