Thread: Largest grips ?

mtbr member

Largest grips ?

Just started using Esi "chunky" grips and they are "meh". My previous pair were some OURY grips which I liked but the ridges would bother me. In trying the Esi I do like the material but they seem really thin. ((yes Ive checked to see if the thicker part is facing correctly)),

So im wondering what good options are. I wear XL-XXL gloves to give you an idea.
    Looking for something with a good circumference that provides decent absorption. Are orgons my next option ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Largest grips ?

I got the esi chunkys too and they do look thin, haven't put on yet, anyways as believe esi makes an extra chunky.

Currently have ritchey foam grips, before had odi rogue lock ons. Like the Richey foam better, excited to try the chunky

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Scott scale team 29er
    Easton Haven Carbon bars
    Odi lock on rogue grips

NMBP
    Years ago everyone was raving about how "fat" Esi Chunky's were. I bought a pair and never tried them. I could tell immediately they weren't what I was looking for.

I have Ergons on both of my main bikes. They aren't round, but they are larger than anything else that I've come across. A lot of riders hate Ergons, but a lot love them. Myself, I hate small round grips. XXL+ on gloves, so I ride gloveless.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I have the large ergons on two bikes as well. Tiny round grips just dont take up enough space in my fists.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm lovin' my ODI Rogue Lock-Ons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, I too have sasquatch hands. I go to the big box stores and get the xl mechanic work gloves,about $10.00. On some of my bikes I use a double wrap of road bar tape, works well. You can adjust it to get the right thickness that you need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    On some of my bikes I use a double wrap of road bar tape, works well. You can adjust it to get the right thickness that you need.
    This. You can make your grips as thick as you like, hard, soft, a layer of each, different at the thumb end, lump in the middle... I've even used a pair of worn out... thin lock ons, I don't remember which ones, as a base, to get a lock-on tape grip.

Another idea is that heat-moldable grip goop:
    My Grip - FastCap - Woodworking Tools
    Again, putting it over a thin lock on is a nice touch, as it adds a little diameter and gives the lock on function.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    This. You can make your grips as thick as you like, hard, soft, a layer of each, different at the thumb end, lump in the middle... I've even used a pair of worn out... thin lock ons, I don't remember which ones, as a base, to get a lock-on tape grip.

Another idea is that heat-moldable grip goop:
    My Grip - FastCap - Woodworking Tools
    Again, putting it over a thin lock on is a nice touch, as it adds a little diameter and gives the lock on function.
    That...actually looks pretty sweet. Is it soft or dries to hard plastic ?

mtbr member
    This is what I use. Much thicker diameter than other grips I've tried in the past. Race Face Strafe Lock-On Grips - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    That...actually looks pretty sweet. Is it soft or dries to hard plastic ?
    It's kind of rubbery, a lot like the consistency of a regular grip, maybe a little softer. What worked best for me was heating it, then wrapping it with pretty fine screen (not quite mosquito netting) then grabbing it. The screen gave it a bit of texture and prevented the goop from working all in between my fingers but still gave some little nubs the way I wanted.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Just started using Esi "chunky" grips and they are "meh". My previous pair were some OURY grips which I liked but the ridges would bother me. In trying the Esi I do like the material but they seem really thin. ((yes Ive checked to see if the thicker part is facing correctly)),

So im wondering what good options are. I wear XL-XXL gloves to give you an idea.
    Looking for something with a good circumference that provides decent absorption. Are orgons my next option ?
    There was a great thread on this years ago. Ranged from using road bike bar wrap tape to wrap up a nice thickness for larger to hands as one option, to building up the girth of the handlebar the same way the golf industry does for larger grips. You wrap masking tape (which weighs very little) around the area where your grips go to build up the size - then spray with hair spray and slide your grip over the masking tape to have a nice thick grip. This can be done with any mountain bike grip (except the lock on ones) and is the most simple solution that works very well.

Thanks mattomoto for the grip tip. My BIG hands are grateful.

Best Grips for big hands

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ESI also has Super Chunky grips. On their website and some on Ebay. Black only.