Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Noob

Bonking ... not feelin' well Large Sweaty Man

Hello all-

I'm 6'2", 240# without gear on, and once I get my gear, which consists of a camelback pack with typical stuff; tube, pump, tools, long sleeved shirt, and water bladder. My ride is a medium geared monkey with a sus. fork, so it's a fair sized bike, and not the lightest on the market. I know I could load things onto the frame and get gear off my back, but i'm also curious if anyone has any luck with a different backpack that will promote flow across your back so you're not just an overall sweaty mess after a 1.5 -2 hr ride?

On top of that, even after I'm done with the ride, showered up, and trying to relax I keep right on sweating. I'm not sure if there is something medically wrong with me, or if my body doesn't cool down properly in the shower or what the deal is. My question is, how do you bigger guys cool down sufficiently so you're not a big sweaty mess after rides?

Cheers!
    MTB Blog

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

I plead the fizif
    Some people just sweat more than others. I had three friends help me re-shingle my roof this spring and found that one of them sweats about as much as me, one was sweating before he even got on the ladder (and he is in pretty good shape compared to me) and the third guy is some sort of freak. The three of us kept looking at him and would say "WHY AREN'T YOU SWEATING???"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I sweat like the cartoons, water shooting out from all directions. It's obnoxious, and at times embarassing, and very hard to stop as it seems to perpetuate itself. Thankfully, I stay fairly cool riding as moving air seems to be more important to my body than the temperature of said air. I wear cheap starter brand sleeveless basketball shirts and they seem to do a really good job of keeping the sweat moving off of my body. Sweating after usually means (to me) that the shower was too hot. I do barely warm showers now after rides and am much more comfortable. 6'5, 290lbs here. Sweating has been the one reason I haven't purchased a Camelback yet. I'll get one soon, but I know it's going to mean a hot/sweaty back while I ride.

banned
    Get a Wingnut Hyper. Not as heavy or as hot as most and carries the weight low on you back. Makes what you carry feel lighter.

Brackish
    I sweat crazy amounts, so much that I have to drink radically more than most people I ride with just to stay hydrated. When I ride with new people, I often get suprised commentary on the volume of my perspiration...you are not alone. I bring a hanky, and have learned to change my clothes very quickly in a variety of unusual places after a ride.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If I only need 70oz or less, I can use the Camelbak Rocket. It has pads that make the it standoff a tad so you get some ventilation across the back.

"On top of that, even after I'm done with the ride, showered up, and trying to relax I keep right on sweating. I'm not sure if there is something medically wrong with me, or if my body doesn't cool down properly in the shower or what the deal is. My question is, how do you bigger guys cool down sufficiently so you're not a big sweaty mess after rides? "

Yea...... that can be an issue on hot days, but as my fitness gets better, I cool down quicker. Wait a while until you cool down before you get into the shower. If you can't wait, then make the water on the cool side and keep lots of it going over your head. Lots of heat is generated and escapes there. It'll be a bit uncomfortable at first, but it starts to feel good pretty soon and it will help you cool down.

mtbr member

and the sweat just won't stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Downhillin
    Hello all-

I'm 6'2", 240# without gear on, and once I get my gear, which consists of a camelback pack with typical stuff; tube, pump, tools, long sleeved shirt, and water bladder. My ride is a medium geared monkey with a sus. fork, so it's a fair sized bike, and not the lightest on the market. I know I could load things onto the frame and get gear off my back, but i'm also curious if anyone has any luck with a different backpack that will promote flow across your back so you're not just an overall sweaty mess after a 1.5 -2 hr ride?

On top of that, even after I'm done with the ride, showered up, and trying to relax I keep right on sweating. I'm not sure if there is something medically wrong with me, or if my body doesn't cool down properly in the shower or what the deal is.

Cheers!
    Same situation for me. I ride in FL (high humidity and temps during the summer). I am in very good condition on the bike at 6-4, 265 lbs and usually slaughter the younger, lighter members of our usual riding crew . I sweat profusely when on the bike, off the bike when back at the trail head and continue to bead sweat all the way home in the comfort of my truck's ac. After showering at home and sitting in the comfort of my 75 degree home, I am still sweating. I don't feel bad at all and I just assume that some people just have a different body makeup and chemistry and it takes longer to get their core temp back to normal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, face it, you are a sweaty beast....welcome to the club. Frequently after a ride my shirt is wet from sweat (although because I wear a light under armour shirt, it isn't wet, which is nice). Same problem as well, get in the shower, and if I don't make it cold enough, I'm still sweating when I get out. it's a normal physiological response, your body still isn't cool enough so it has to keep sweating to do so.

As others have said, try a colder shower. It's hard to get into a really cold shower, so try lowering the temp as you are in there. Our shower has only one dial, and a normal shower has the handle at about 12-1 o'clock....and by the time I'm done I'm at about three or four o'clock, which is too cold while first getting in, but AMAZING once I get out

Also, check your gear you're wearing while riding. Firstly, if you're wearing cotton at all, big mistake, loose it ASAP. Go with a technical fabric, and I find that I feel cooler in the cotton-like stuff, rather than the polyester-feeling shiny stuff that is out there. If your modesty can take it, you will feel cooler, and cool down faster in lycra shorts, rather than double shorts.

As far as packs go, I have a Camelbak M.U.L.E. and it has some sort of airflow chanel in the back...I can't feel it work, but hey, it's great ad-hype. Maybe at roadie speeds it works, or with a tighter-fitting jersey. Ergon has a line of packs out now which are supposed to be a revolutionary suspension system in them, you could possibly look into one of those, price is a bit more than a Camelbak, but might help.

Good luck, make sure you drink lots and keep hydrated. 3 liter Camelback and two bottles on the bike is a usual for me during longer rides

Tim

Noob
    Actually yeah, I was thinking about it last night after a little easier ride and I did try a cooler shower than what i usually do. It felt all right, and I may try it again after my next ride.

I live in MN so there's always humidity in the air... but I do wear a technical jersey instead of cotton, I'm at least that bright, but the problem with that is, with my camelbak my back and then corresponding pocket thinggy is nothing short of soaked when I'm done. I have gone to a bandanna under my helmet (which is a little older, but can't afford a pricey, light, full of vents model) and another in my pocket just in case I need it out on the trail. That thing is also soaked obviously, and I think i'd get distracted by the 'lycra only' feeling without my shorts. I love my Oakley Ballistic shorts and have vents to keep my @ss cooler.

Just looking at the Wingnut pack, that might be the answer. My wife did suggest that I use my camera bag (hip pack) for my rides to see how that works... damnit... she might be right again...

It makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone in this one, thanks for all the advice and ideas. Most days I feel like crap because I'm a clyde cause I bust my butt and can't do much about it, on days like today though, I feel normal. Thanks all.
    MTB Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh yeah, completely forgot, I just picked up one of those "skull caps" that use moisture wicking fabric (rather than a cotton bandanna) and used it for my first ride yesterday...not a full fledged one (only about an hour or so) and it wasn't wicked hot, so not a true test, but I found that I felt cooler, and there wasn't much (if any) sweat on my face. Really enjoyed it, and like you, I haven't sprung for a brain-sieve helmet yet, I think mine only has about sixteen vents...those 26 vent jobbies look REAL nice

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just an update, did a longer 2ish hr ride on Friday in a decent amount of heat, and noticed that while wearing the Under Armour skull cap that I picked up, I felt noticably cooler, and sweated a heck of a lot less (on my head). My face was damp (with surface perspiration) but not dripping/flowing with sweat. When I got home and took off the helmet, the skull cap did such a godo job of wicking that the top fabric part was almost completely dry, while the elastic band was just slightly damp.

I know it sounds odd to suggest buying something else to PUT ON when you're hot and sweaty, but it really did work for me. We'll see how it works long-term....

Tim

Your bike is incorrigible

2nd the skull cap

Quote Originally Posted by Sullycanpara
    Just an update, did a longer 2ish hr ride on Friday in a decent amount of heat, and noticed that while wearing the Under Armour skull cap that I picked up, I felt noticably cooler, and sweated a heck of a lot less (on my head). My face was damp (with surface perspiration) but not dripping/flowing with sweat. When I got home and took off the helmet, the skull cap did such a godo job of wicking that the top fabric part was almost completely dry, while the elastic band was just slightly damp.

I know it sounds odd to suggest buying something else to PUT ON when you're hot and sweaty, but it really did work for me. We'll see how it works long-term....

Tim
    I wasn't about to try one because I thought they looked ridiculous. However (and this is where it gets disturbing) I found one alongside a trail. After a good washing I tried it out. Now, this was the middle of the summer in Connecticut, where it will be 95 degrees and 90% humidity. I'll be damned if the thing didn't work wonders. No more sweat in my eyes and it did feel a little cooler.

Hey, they're like $10, and that's a small price to pay for some added comfort. Or you can be like me and find one on the side of a trail and try it out for free.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I use an Under Armor skull cap too and find it works well for wicking sweat away from dripping into my eyes. I did throw one away on a CT trail after wiping my dog's.... oh nevermind

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I use an Under Armor skull cap too and find it works well for wicking sweat away from dripping into my eyes. I did throw one away on a CT trail after wiping my dog's.... oh nevermind
    was it sort of gray camo? if so that would explain the brown stripe in the middle.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    was it sort of gray camo? if so that would explain the brown stripe in the middle.
    That's the one!

mtbr member
    I'm fat. I sweat on moderately cool days. I live in GA. It's been near or over 100 degrees for a few weeks now. After my last ride, I sweat so much I was putting my bike back on the rack and a guy rides by and says "I didn't know there was any creeks back here, where did you find it?"

*sigh*

Noob
    Ouch... sorry man... I feel your pain, it sucks, cause my wife has said the same thing on more than one occasion... after a shower...
    MTB Blog

mtbr member
    I sweat like a pig and stink like a garbage dump. My solution: A real hot shower slowly lowered to a bitter-cold rinse that I endure for at least five minutes, taking special care to chill the top of the head and the back of the neck. After I dry off, the sweat stops and I'm cool and sweet smelling for the rest of the day. Ahhh.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius71
    I'm fat. I sweat on moderately cool days. I live in GA. It's been near or over 100 degrees for a few weeks now. After my last ride, I sweat so much I was putting my bike back on the rack and a guy rides by and says "I didn't know there was any creeks back here, where did you find it?"

*sigh*
    must have been at blankets. lots of jokers there.

i was sweating pretty good yesterday....then started to get the chills. pulled over and took off the helmet and headband (keeps the sweat out of my eyes/eyeglasses). kinda scared me....but i felt fine. weird.

Noob
    A couple of years ago I had that happen to me too while I was doing some field work, I'm not sure what the deal was but it was a little scary. Very hot, sweaty, and then all the sudden started to shiver and got chills. I think it's one of the first steps in being WAAAAY overheated. Best solution is to get out of the sun, cool down before continuing on. Cause it's definitely not a good sign...
    MTB Blog

Underskilled
    Hi,
    I mount a light pannier and put most of my junk on that. My camelback is not in a backpack and just elasticed to my back, it act's as a bit of a heatsink so keeps me cool.
    Also bamboo clothing tends to help as it wick sweat really really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bamboo eh? I'd never heard of bamboo fiber cloth.
    I may give it a shot, I have a lot of funky poly clothing, especially wicking underlayers for skiing. (is mentioning winter-only activities taboo on a bike board?)

Underskilled
    Bamboo seems too cool you heavily so not like most good tops that will keep you warm when cold and cool when hot (my Rab deserves a mention on this) but bamboo just makes you cold.

http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/stor...ensportLSblack

My rab deserves a mention because I have cycled in summer wearing it and skied in -50 celcius while wearing it, now that is amazing, problem is it fell apart in a few washes wheras the bamboo has mashine washed fine (needs to be stretched when drying)

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhillin

On top of that, even after I'm done with the ride, showered up, and trying to relax I keep right on sweating. I'm not sure if there is something medically wrong with me, or if my body doesn't cool down properly in the shower or what the deal is. My question is, how do you bigger guys cool down sufficiently so you're not a big sweaty mess after rides?

Cheers!
    I have the same issue, but have noticed as I drop weight it becomes less of an issue. but yeah, some sweat more than others. . . .

One thing that seems to help (me) is to eliminate alchohol. I sweat less overall when I do not drink.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I have the same issue, but have noticed as I drop weight it becomes less of an issue. but yeah, some sweat more than others. . . .

One thing that seems to help (me) is to eliminate alchohol. I sweat less overall when I do not drink.
    Posting unrealistic suggestions is not helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast