mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Large rider and trek 3700

So ive been reading up on clydesdale compatible bikes for a while and after trying some bikes out at several shops in my area i finally decided on a Trek 3700 disc and i have to say i love riding. Im a large clydesdale rider at 338 lbs (down from 410 a year ago) and was concerned about strength of the frame and wheels with my weight.

This post is more to help out the other big guys out there like me. The trek 3700 is a solid bike that is holding up amazingly for me so far. I got it for $445 at a shop near me and the pro shop owner really helped me out a lot. Frame on this bike is waranteed for life and he swapped out the stock 32 spoke wheels for some stronger 36 spoke ones free of charge. This setup has been a perfect starter bike for me and i would recomend it to anyone on the larger size looking to get into biking. Ill probably be upgrading the fork next season but the stock one is working good for me this season so far.

Any other questions, hit me up.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good to see they helped you. I weigh 210 and destroyed my wheelset on that bike, but you should be fine with those new wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah the guy at the shop said the bike is really solid but the stock wheels are a weak point especially for someone my size. Hence the upgrade. Love the bike as i bought it.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm around 350 and this might be a bike to look into. Where you riding this bike @ 410 or was this a recent purchase at your current weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I started riding at about 350. I'm slowly dropping that number. I doing a martial arts class and biking to lose the weight. I started the martial arts class at about 400. Got the bike 50 pounds later.

-Sent from my HTC Evo with Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info. So only thing you did was the a change in rim from 32 to 36?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Correct. Guy who assembled it at the shop actually did it free of charge for me which i thought was pretty cool.

-Sent from my HTC Evo with Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just an fyi for big boys and treks this is from their website
    Is there a weight limit for your bikes?
    Yes, we do have a weight limit on our bikes and they are as follows:

Rider weight limit of 275lbs

Road bikes with drop type handlebars
    Triathlon, time trial or Speed Concept bicycles
    Cruisers with large 26" tires and swept-back handlebars
    Bicycles that fold

Rider weight limit of 300lbs

Hybrid bicycles with 700c wheels, tires larger than 28c, and flat handlebars
    City bicycles: hybrids with special equipment
    Cyclocross bicycles: with drop type handlebars, knobby 700c tires, and cantilever or disc brakes
    Mountain bikes of all types including: standard, race, cross-country, heavy-duty, trail, all-mountain, freeride, and jumping bikes of both the hardtail and full suspension variety

Combined Rider weight limit of 550lbs:

Tandem bicycles

Still have questions? Contact Us

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That may be how Trek rates them but I can say I've had no problems. The guy at my local bike shop told me that the frame is solid and the only real problem with a big guy on this bike is the wheels, which he upgraded for me. I am happy with my purchase. Been riding about 2 times a week since I got it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can be happy with the purchase i was just letting you know that there is a weight limit set by the manufacturer but most the time for safety they factor in 2x so you are probably fine until you hit a drop