Thread: Kona Hoss

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Kona Hoss

6'6" 265 is this bike worth it or is there something else out there?

banned
    I am 5'11" 285. That being said, I have read the posts wherein the Hoss is said to be very good for us larger guys. I think, if you check the spec, there would be too much upgrading to the components. It looks like they cheapened out on the wheels and the front fork. The frame is supposed to be stout but those components leave a lot to be desired. I just ride the bikes that fit me and that I want to ride. I'm not looking for a clyde proof bike. Just one that I'll ride. By the way I have bought every bike I've had but one "off the shelf". Very few problems that I didn't already expect. As a clyde, component breakage just goes along with the territory. If you like the Hoss, get it. Just realize that you will spend a lot of money to upgrade what may break. But if you really want to get a strong frame, find a Surly Instigator. Brutally strong frame, and then build it up with clyde worthy components. It may cost a little more at first but it will be strong and serviceable for a long time

President, CEO of Earth
    The primary things that may be weak points, IMO, are the ISIS bottom bracket, and the Deore hubs. I think everything else that is affected by weight is Clyde worthy.

The rims are Alex DM24, and while I have not used them, I sold a few of them and I believe them to be pretty tough.

The hubs, Deore, I have also not used, but I have had some experience with Exage hubs, which were around the same quality level as the Deore, and I found they needed overhauling regularily under my 250 lbs. I could assume that Shimano has improved the line up with STX, and then again with Deore, but I don't think that is a safe assumption.

And ISIS bottom brackets have the reputation as not the best choice for a >200 lb rider

But otherwise I would have no concerns buying this bike.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Former Bike Wrench
    IMO, the Kona Caldera is a better trail bike for sub-300lbs Clydes. It uses a better suited XC/AM fork (Marz Dirt Jumper forks are not well suited for XC riding, they're designed for jumping...hence the name) and a lighter, yet still plenty strong frame while still using a stout wheelset (same rims as the Hoss for 2008). The only real beef I have with the Caldera is the m475 rear hub, which does not have as good seals as the m525 rear hub on the Hoss.

banned
    I forgot about the Caldera. For a ready made bike you are right. The spec is really better for a clyde. You are right, the Dirt Jumper is meant to take the sting off impacts, but only one at a time (like dirt jumping) Not a series of impacts. I'd go for the Caldera or you could still build the Instigator

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    ... The only real beef I have with the Caldera is the m475 rear hub, which does not have as good seals as the m525 rear hub on the Hoss.
    If the r4ear hub is your only concern about the Caldera then worry no more! Both bikes (the Caldera and the Hoss (and the Hoss Deluxe)) come with the lower quality 475 hub, according to the website.

Like I said, that is my beef with the Hoss as well.

Anyway, if that hub goes it will probably cost ~$100 to get a nice one (like a 525) built in to the Alex rims. Not a bad compromise, if you can expect to get a year or more out of the Deore level hubs before they go.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    If the r4ear hub is your only concern about the Caldera then worry no more! Both bikes (the Caldera and the Hoss (and the Hoss Deluxe)) come with the lower quality 475 hub, according to the website.
    Check out the 2008 catalog, the Caldera and Hoss use the same rims, but not the same rear hub

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a Kona Hoss Dee-Lux frame I've been bangen on for about 3 years now and it just keeps asking for more! You can buy just the frame and build it to your spec like I did. I paid $220.00 for the frame from a local Kona dealer.

Mine's set up as more of a back trail bike with a 5" Sherman up front, Chain guide, and Mavic EX 823 Tubeless DH rims on Hope Bulb hubs. And full XTR drive train and shifter + XTR brake levers.
    My Hoss kicks so much ass out on the trail!

mtbr member
    Kona makes a lot of great clyde ready bikes. Two that come to mind right away are the Dawg series and the Coilers. I have a Dawg Primo. Like the other Konas listed, it needed a hub upgrade right away. Everything else has held up very well.