mtbr member
    May 2009

Kona Hoss or 29er

I am fairly new to mountain biking and am looking to purchase my first real bike. I am having a problem deciding between a 29er (felt, kona, GF, or Niner) and a Kona Hoss. I am 6'4" and about 255 lbs (trying to get down to 220). I will be riding all sorts of trails mostly of an intermedaite level. I want a bike that can take a beating but still can single track uphill........

Please offer any opinons to help get me off the fence.....

Thanks!!

Former Bike Wrench
    I would without any hesitation recommend a 29er with at least the Tora Race/318 Solo Air fork (avoid the Dart). Look for a robust wheelset (32 spoke, 14 ga or 14/15ga double butted spokes, stout rims) and larger 2.2"+ tires.

The Hoss is kind of overkill for you at "only" 255lbs plus the DJ2 fork is not a great trail fork (its a Dirt Jump fork, hence the name).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any recommendations on a 29 HT. My budget is around $1500. I was looking at a 09 Kona Kahuna with a Reba fork for $1100. I appreciate any insight...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i've been extreamly pleased with my surly karate monkey and tora fork on it... $1500 will build a nice bike....

the biggest thing is how you fit on the bike though...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Former Bike Wrench
    I would test ride a few if possible...the other brands you mentioned all make models in your price range such as the Felt Nine Comp, GF Cobia, or a Niner EMD built up would be good choices as well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have been running around to all the LBS in So Cal. Unfortunately there have been few in my size in stock to demo. I may be leaning toward the Kona Big Kahuna...I found it for 20% off...I have always suffered from a lack of patience. I am trying to be smart with this investment. Can it end up being less expensive to buy a frame seperately and build it up? I have seen a good deal on a Ventanna El Padrino....

Thank you for your thoughts!!

Former Bike Wrench
    I may be leaning toward the Kona Big Kahuna...I found it for 20% off.
    From their webpage, it looks like a solid spec'd bike

Super Clyde-ish
    Mar 2008

What about the Access?

I guess it's relatively new as a complete bike, but the new Access 9.9 from PerformanceBike is priced at $1k I believe....
    Satin Black 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0

Former Bike Wrench
    and a solid frame, I know first hand

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just bought the Hoss last Friday and so far think it's a great bike. I'm 270lbs and 6'. I wanted a solid bike and it delivers on that. It has different brakes then what is on the web site, i guess the 575 never made it to the US. It has the Hayes stroker trail Hydro brakes. Which is fine with me as this is my first set of hydro brakes and boy are they nice.

Plus size jersey model
    I would recomend the Haro Mary since I have one. They make a geared XC version http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav5.php
    There frames on the Mary's are steel and bomb proof. I have had my SS for over a year with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hoss vs. 29er is sort of an apples to oranges comparrison. If you want a 29er, don't consider the Hoss - its a 26er. If you really want a 26er, consider the Hoss, but don't think its the only clyde-worthy bike out there. If you don't know if you want a 26er or a 29er, I'd recommend renting one of each for a day (usually $20-30 most places) and figure out what you like before dropping 15 Benjies. Of course, you could borrow the bikes and get the same effect. The thing is, you need to do more than ride around the block to form an educated opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wish I could find a place that had a similar 29 to demo. Most of the LBS around me only allow you to ride around the parking lot to get a feel. Let me know if you know where I can rent/demo the bike around Orange County CA....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I would without any hesitation recommend a 29er
    At 6'4" I would get a 29er. I am 6'5" and never had a bike fit me until I got my 29er. I always felt like I was towering above the bike before.

Come on out to Salt Lake and you can test ride my Ridgid or FS 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize
    At 6'4" I would get a 29er. I am 6'5" and never had a bike fit me until I got my 29er. I always felt like I was towering above the bike before.

Come on out to Salt Lake and you can test ride my Ridgid or FS 29er.
    Thanks....that is a really cool offer. I am almost 100% going to go with a 29er.

Underskilled
    29er is the best choice, you have to be careful though as most 29er equip is ultralight and will make your day dificult. Flexy breaky stuff isn't good.

mtbr member
    29er is the ONLY way to go. Don't even bother with peepee wheels at your size.

Former Bike Wrench
    Maybe Kona needs to make a Hoss 29er...hmmmm

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have 22" Kona Big Kahuna being ordered from my LBS.....I rode a couple 29ers and the Hoss this weekend. After riding the 29ers the Hoss felt like a BMX to me. I am definitely sold on the feel of the 29ers. I was not able to ride the Kona in my size but don't have to pay the LBS until I have tested the bike out. I am stoked.....

mtbr member
    Yaa, that's how all of us big guys feel after riding 29ers... welcome to the Enlightenment Perhaps someone should start a tax-deductible 29er Religion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmatero
    Yaa, that's how all of us big guys feel after riding 29ers... welcome to the Enlightenment Perhaps someone should start a tax-deductible 29er Religion.
    im new to mountain bikes and this forum i just got home from a local bike shop and test rode a diamondback 29r with a 22 inch frame im 6'3 230lbs and that thing just plain fit me gooood it felt like a tank compared to the 26 in wheel bike that ive been riding. im thinking very hard on going back on monday and buying that thing.