mtbr member
    May 2011

Kona Honza or Satori? for a tall heavy clyde

Somebody told me if I want a tough frame and a stable bike for what I do the Honza might be a good choice? Thanks for replies.

I also added the Satori as a choice ?

I was also just looking at the Zinn Mega bike in the add above.

I want to make a move on a better bike and need options, I already have 29 MTX 33's with Hopes to put on it.
    Last edited by Realslowww; 09-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'd assume the Kona Honzo is gonna be beefier, but it also has a very slack front end that you might not like (a little clumsy in slow rock gardens and sharp slow corners, but you'll get used to it).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for helping me Sasquatch, just how big of an ape are you? Why do you say the Honzo is beefier?

I want something that works good and flies straight at 20 to 30 MPH. I mostly rode ride but want to start jumping more stuff out on the street and running up and down steps and small stair cases and jumping them.

What is the best thing out for doing that if you are like 6 foot 4 and 285? I was also looking at the Transition TransAm.

Again thanks you big ape you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For mostly road riding, I'd stick with a hardtail. Dual suspension is nice on the trails but not worth it for the road doing urban stuff. Honzo is a beefy steel frame that you probably aren't gonna break. That Trans Am is stout too. Slack front end will only make high speed stair riding more fun, so go for it.

I'm 6'4" and 330 lbs. I don't have any experience with the AM hardtail frames but I know some big guys that ride them. Specifically the Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy. I think any of the AM hardtails will hold up just fine for any abuse you can throw at them.

Dual suspension brings in a whole other category of stresses and strength concerns. Don't know about the satori specifically but I've had issues keeping dual suspension bikes to hold up. May work just fine but though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So dual are more maintenance and break more often, how high can you drop realistically on a HT, who makes a seat you can adjust the seat post height on the fly.

I was 325 when I was in the gym but did not like how I felt agilty wise, I want to get down to 250. I feel better lighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have you ever seen what Danny MacAskill can drop on a hardtail? You can do a lot on the hardtail but requires a certain amount of skill. I personally am not dropping anything on a hardtail, cause I suck at it. I don't go off anyhing over 2' on my RIP9. I probably could go higher but rear shock is already max pressure and bottom outs will destroy a FS frame quickly at our weight.

If you want to go FS, maybe look at the new Niner WFO9 or Banshee Prime. I'd only buy new though cause there is a higher potential to have warranty issues around 300 lbs.

I think the strongest dropper posts are Thomson or KS Lev. I have zero experience with them though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the help you monster you. At your size or my size we could never approach what Danny does. He is incredible and made me realize the potential of bicycles. I know my limitations from being big by riding a CR 500 for the last 25 years.

You don't see any Sasquatch size guy's on the front row at a Super Cross race. I am pretty good at it from all my motorcycle riding and the trick for a big guy is to go fast so you sail and the angle of impact is lessened. I am used to flying through the woods at speeds approaching 80 plus in some situations so the bicycle is like when is it going to go.

I love the bike just as much but it is just slow, I look back now at what I used to do on a Moto X motorcycle and realize I am lucky I am not dead. You are only 20 once and now I know why they ask the 20 year olds to go out and die on the battle field.

YOU HAVE NO SENSE AT 20!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you considered one of the Airborne bikes? I own the 20" Guardian, and at 6'2" and 325- I have had NO issues at all, and I ride some decent trails (Youtube Alafia Rollercoaster, Northcreek, Balm Boyette, etc.) Some might (me included) call this bike the best budget hardtail out there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks I will take a look.

The Airborne are cheap, are they as tough as some other bikes?. Only one problem I can see they only make up to 21.

I don't know if that is a problem but I ride a 23" now with the post out 10 inches or so.

Thanks for the help.