mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Knee Injury & Riding

So I've recently found this site and it has a ton of great info.

About 6 mths ago I blew my knee out playing baseball and I have been told not to run anymore. I have no cartilage left in my knee and my ortho guy thinks I blew my PCL apart too ( just waiting on a 2nd opinion from another surgeon ).

My ortho guy recommended that I get back into cycling. I have racing and ridden all my life ( I'm 33 ), but I haven't been in the saddle for about 11 years.

I need to drop weight, currently 6'2" 280lbs, and I wanted to know who people found riding with a knee injury??

Currently I'm saving my pennies for the Norco 29'er

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have had 2 acl surgeries, and riding does help. Especially if your clipped into to pedals and your set up properly on your bike it almost seems it relieves some knee stress. Plus with riding you might drop some lbs and thats very helpful on your knee. The only issues sometimes I have with my knee is if I have to plant hard or weird but its more of just a tweek. But I highly suggest getting back in the saddle

mtbr member
    It would take forever to go into my knee surgery stories. All I will say is I've had 6 knee surgeries in 11 years. I mostly ride road bikes and average over 100 miles a week. Don't mountain bike much not cause of knee surgeries but, due to having a 2 & 3 year old so time is tight at times.
    Make sure you have proper seat height and cleat position. and you should be fine. I have no cartilage in my right knee either. Cycling should make your knee more stable due to increased muscle strength.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've had 2 surgeries. But the last one was 20 years ago. I had an ACL transplant and most of one of my menisci removed. I have been very active over the past 20 years and can tell you that you need to lose weight really badly. I'm only 175~180 and things have deteriorated a lot in the past 5 years. Think about how much load your knee is subjected to compared to mine. No running, no impact sports, keep cycling.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Obviously its going to be different for everyone but my knee is toast... cant run 10 feet, hard soled dress shoes give me nightmares but I can ride just fine (even DH)

Hard tail bikes on fast trails is not so fun, its the constant bumps and vibrations that hurt... drops are not really an issue. Seems I am ok with my knees bent into the attack position but the constant rap of roots and small rocks as I pedal gets old fast.

Like I said probably going to be different for everyone but I feel I need a little suspension to take the edge off for long MTB rides (I am fine on the road and smooth trails)

my $70,000 worth of titanium bling

my staples after the install
    http://www.pbase.com/ray645/image/88971715

Quote Originally Posted by officersdr
    So I've recently found this site and it has a ton of great info.

About 6 mths ago I blew my knee out playing baseball and I have been told not to run anymore. I have no cartilage left in my knee and my ortho guy thinks I blew my PCL apart too ( just waiting on a 2nd opinion from another surgeon ).

My ortho guy recommended that I get back into cycling. I have racing and ridden all my life ( I'm 33 ), but I haven't been in the saddle for about 11 years.

I need to drop weight, currently 6'2" 280lbs, and I wanted to know who people found riding with a knee injury??

Currently I'm saving my pennies for the Norco 29'er

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    OK good that makes me feel better.....I know I have to lose weight and that is 1 of the main reasons for getting back into cycling. I'm hoping to be down to 230 by the end of the summer and around 215 by next spring.

The thing is now to wait until I have enough saved for my bike. I've changed my diet and am starting already to feel better. I'm hoping to cycle 20-30kms per my days off ( I get 4 in a row ).

How are some of you larger guys liking your 29er's??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ray wins for sure. Nice hardware.

To office: I love my 29er. Definitely a different ride than what I previously rode (fs 26") 10+ years ago.
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

Members who have read this thread: 0